The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why did you go two hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
How far do you need to cast? How big are the flies you need to get that distance?
60 to 70 feet would be my guess for a regular cast. Needs to be able to handle bigger bass streamers and poppers and whatever else needs to be thrown to attract a salmon or steelhead.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
60 to 70 feet would be my guess for a regular cast. Needs to be able to handle bigger bass streamers and poppers and whatever else needs to be thrown to attract a salmon or steelhead.
That's nothin'. A 12' 7 wt. or something would more than do that. You could use a switch rod and do it.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

lots of neat reasons posted here. Ill admit I havent been able to use my 12,6 6wt very often, but then again one of my reasons for getting into spey, albeit a short rig, I got hook on those graceful videos showing spey casting and it looked so relaxing. I have gotten some crazy looks from bait dunkers at the pond I use it at aiming at carp with the rock dam behind me. but its fun... I can only imagine how fun a full size spey rig would be.
Mike
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I got into spey casting because I wanted to fish all day and not get so tired. Also, I wanted to fish places where I had limited room to make a back cast.

They were good reasons. Here, however, are some things to consider:

1. There's a steep learning curve; and it's not easy deciding on what's the best line for you. (I tried a long belly, then the Windcutter before I settled on a Scandi. Recently, I've gone to the new Rage line.)

2. Unless you're casting a Skagit line - which means retrieving after each cast - you'll have a tough time casting bigger/heavier flies.

3. If you try to make a short cast, you'll have a very tough time.

4. The longer the spey rod, the harder it is to play and land a fish.

5. Be prepared to spend more money than you think you will.

Randy
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Randy,

That's the kind of information that I am interested it. With anything, there is an added cost but is going two handed really that complicated? I know that the casting is going to be a different thing than I am used to but I am willing to put in the effort. I can, and people do, fish the areas I am interested in with something like a 10 foot single hand 8 weight but I am looking for the advantages that a no back cast will give me. Over here on the right coast, I have to deal with over hanging trees and no shore to speak of. I just found the right line for my single hand 5 weight and am working on my double haul. When I head out to the Potomac and the South Branch of the same river in WV, its bigger water without a lot of room.

Rod, backing, line (I already have a reel)...what else would I need to get?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:58 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Derelict,

I think this will help you:

Getting Started With Spey Casting

If you go with a Scandi, Skagit, or Rage, managing running line becomes an issue, so you'll also have to study up on that.

In my case I built a stripping basket for spey fishing.

Randy
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
but is going two handed really that complicated?
I taught myself watching YouTube. I think it's easier to learn than single hand casting. It is defineltely easier to do with either hand. I suck at single hand casting left handed. I am almost as good left handed with a two hander as I am right handed. In fact when you do start learning it, practice with both hands on top. It's something that will pay off for you.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I've recently picked up a Sage Graphite 3e 5120 and I plan on swinging nymphs (double and triple nymph rigs, etc) and small baitfish patterns (sculpins, etc). I also have a Meiser Highlander 'S' series 14' 9 weight on it's way that I plan on chucking meat with. All of these rods have Steve Godshall custom cuts on them.

I like to warm up to a rod (kind of like warming up to a girl before I try to take her home ). Both rods above, I would start off slow and get used to them before I started hammering single speys all day.

You could start off learning a few casts, such as the perry poke, snap t/c. These two casts will allow you get a feel for how a d-loop is form with two hands without blowing your anchor as easily. You could move into a snake roll and a double spey afterwards and then work your way into the physics of a single spey. These are just suggestions of course.

How fast is your current and is there a depth that you need to get down to? Are you fishing poppers/foam on the surface?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM

ramset is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty new to this as well (bout a two yrs.) and have found I'm able to keep my flies in the water much longer (quicker casts) than if I had say a longer single hand rod. That said, there's a lot to be said about single hand spey casting w/ a SH rod. Just not able to get the distance and more importantly- good meding capabilities- needed for swinging and nymphing upstream- that a longer 2H rod gets you.