The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM

draku007 is on a distinguished road
Default TFO Deer Creek switch 11' 7wt or 8wt

I'm about to purchase my first two handed rod. I narrowed my choices to TFO Deer Creek switch 11' but now I can't decide on the weight - 7 or 8.
Here is the list of fish I'll be targeting with this rod in the order of importance:
1. Steelhead/Salmon (3 weekends / year)
2. Summer fishing on bigger rivers - small mouth / pike (20 outings / year)
3. Lake fishing - large mouth / pike (20 outings / year)
4. Stripers - beach fishing (2 outings / year)

The guy at the fly shop recommends the 8wt based on the above list. I know the stripers and small mouth are the 2 extremes on the list. Should I stick with the 8wt or go with the 7 knowing that surf fishing will be bit limited and landing a big fish will be a challenge if I ever get one

Also is it true that two handed rods are bit heavier than the single handed ones? What I mean by that is double handed 5wt feels more like 6-7wt single handed. Is that true?
BTW I have 3, 5, 7 and 9 in single handed rods.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: TFO Deer Creek switch 11' 7wt or 8wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by draku007 View Post
The guy at the fly shop recommends the 8wt based on the above list. I know the stripers and small mouth are the 2 extremes on the list. Should I stick with the 8wt or go with the 7 knowing that surf fishing will be bit limited and landing a big fish will be a challenge if I ever get one
I would agree with the guy. If that's your list, go for the 8 weight.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I have the 7wt DC and its a brute of a rod, while I wouldn't plan to salmon fish with it I would definitely not feel under gunned if I were to take it to the beach to toss flies for stripers. Keep in mind that while its listed as a 7wt the rod has the butt section of at least a 9wt. The grain weights for it tops out at 550, a Rio Outbound Short in a 10wt is only 425grns. I've fished a 480grn Skagit head plus tips and could launch an obscenely large weighted fly with that set up.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM

draku007 is on a distinguished road

I end up getting the 8wt.

Thanks for the input guys.