The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By petee
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default First Switch Setup

Alright all of you are responsible for my blooming addiction. Thought I would post what I am getting and get some more questions on future steps answered.

Rod: Sage "One" Switch 7116-4 (11'6", 7wt. 4 piece) I will be building this rod. Already have the seat insert complete and have the Titanium hardware. Posted it under the Rod Building section. Question: Should I go with an oversized tiptop to prevent knot/loop hang ups?

Reel: I have put a deposit on Abel Switch, deep blue reel.

Line: Went with a 425gr RIO Skagit Short per chart recommendations by several different site reviews. With the Skagit I will need to either make or buy various tips for the different conditions. Yes?

For surf fishing, more than likely two handed over head casting, I will probably go with a full floating line with various sink tips for the different conditions. Will I need another spool or will is it worth it to just remove the various lines? It isn't like I am going to change from surf to river set ups on the water.

I also built a St. Croix Imperial 5 wt.Switch, but we will talk about a set up for that at a later date. I used Nickel Silver hardware on it so it is for fresh water only. Don't have the heart to dunk it in salt.

Gotta love a new addiction that let's you buy all new toys

Pete
Guest1 likes this.

Last edited by petee; 02-01-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Switch Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Alright all of you are responsible for my blooming addiction. Thought I would post what I am getting and get some more questions on future steps answered.

Rod: Sage "One" Switch 7116-4 (11'6", 7wt. 4 piece) I will be building this rod. Already have the seat insert complete and have the Titanium hardware. Posted it under the Rod Building section. Question: Should I go with an oversized tiptop to prevent knot/loop hang ups?

Yes, but also make your shooting line loop LONG! Like upwards of 6 inches.

Reel: I have put a deposit on Abel Switch, deep blue, non-ported reel.

No need to get carried away with an expensive reel, for the most part all it does is 'store line.' The question of a drag system vs a click and pawl is just a personal choice. 90% of the fish I've hook/landed/released have just been on C & P's. Line going through all those guides really does provide far more 'drag' than folk suspect. That said, I can think of a few times I was damned glad to have a 'drag reel.' But each of those was on a single hander rod and a hot fish.

Line: Went with a 425gr RIO Skagit Short per chart recommendations by several different site reviews. With the Skagit I will need to either make or buy various tips for the different conditions. Yes?

Here's an over simple answer. With a skagit you can use real 'heads, with a scandi you'll be using sinking leaders of some sort (full float to extra heavy). That said, with this short of a rod, and that light a head, short runs of T 8 to 11 are about all you're going to get without hinging with a Scandi due to its front taper. Skagit's have a pretty blunt front end so will handle 'more.'

For surf fishing, more than likely two handed over head casting, I will probably go with a full floating line with various sink tips for the different conditions. Will I need another spool or will is it worth it to just remove the various lines? It isn't like I am going to change from surf to river set ups on the water.

No clue as to this part. Don't think I've ever 'over head cast with a 2hander of any kind.

I also built a St. Croix Imperial 5 wt.Switch, but we will talk about a set up for that at a later date. I used Nickel Silver hardware on it so it is for fresh water only. Don't have the heart to dunk it in salt.

Gotta love a new addiction that let's you buy all new toys

"Welcome to the Dark Side Young Luke Skywalker, Welcome ..........

Pete
Want fun with a 2hander? Weight (pun intended) till you get a 2 or 3wt for low water summer run (or trout) fishing.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations petee! That's going to be one killer setup for you. I had the pleasure of casting that very rod a few months ago and all I can say is WOW! I was blown away by how easily I could shoot line with it and FEEL the line loading the rod. I think you're going to love that rod.

A wiggle test (yes unfair) on the trout rods kind of turned me off but after feeling the two handers I may give them consideration one day. I thought they felt too stiff but not casting one is an unfair assessment on my part.

Abel switch reel...what else do I need to say? Keep us posted on the progress and your thoughts after you've had a chance to take it out.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
For surf fishing, more than likely two handed over head casting, Pete
I found the easiest way to do it if you strip all the way back is to shake the line out of the rod till you get your maker at the tip, then perry poke and Lift the line hard and up so it becomes an in the air backcast and as soon as it straightens out, hit it and once it's going then release the running line. You can put a ton of line out there. If you don't need to strip all the way in you can just water load it and recast overhead. I'm not sure how far I can overhead cast my 15'ers but it's a really really long way.

I also should point out that it puts a lot of force on stuff. I used a factory woven mono loop for a long time without problems. It took all of two or three overhead casts to blow the loop open and send my fly and leader into parts unknown. I never found it. I don't use the factory loops anymore.
Click the image to open in full size.