The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Rio's New Anti-Twist "Swivels"

To reduce line twist I use aquatek plastic swivels between my leader and tippet.

This new product from Rio looks interesting, but pricey.

I might give it a try. Has anyone used it?

Anti Twist Spey Swivel

Randy
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rio's New Anti-Twist "Swivels"

I haven't tried them however knowing Flyfishers,someone will buy,have bought & tried them,regardless of price.
Next thing they will be available from China as that's probably where Rio has them made.
Brian
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I have used the invisa swivel and like them, but I can make
the rio cheaper...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never felt the need to use a swivel, but if I did, I could make those for about 40 cents a shot.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have never felt the need to use a swivel, but if I did, I could make those for about 40 cents a shot.
That was my immediate call too Dan. Ten bucks a pop is silly. That said, if you are getting twist in a fly line you're using a fly(s) that are bug gered (spinning). On the odd off that you get this issue just nip off the fly and strip off the line and let the river current do the job for you.

That's all that's needed with mono (and there you really can get line twist with a 'coffee grinder' type of reel).
Guest1, jaybo41 and rubberguy like this.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I troll spoon flys for walleye and a swivel helps keep the tippet from twisting from a spoon swimming to fast.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Had to laugh, just off the SpeyPages and this exact topic is up and running.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Airflo is selling a similiar product, but you only have to buy one:

Spey Line Catalog

For ten bucks I'm going to take a shot.

Randy
Old 02-03-2013, 09:13 AM

Had to chuckle. Ten bucks is still ten bucks ... .each.