The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Orvis Shooting Star spey rod

Anyone tried this spey rod yet or know anyone that has? I'm looking for a spey rod and have a big giftcard to Orvis. It has good reviews on the site but wondering if anyone here could give me a first hand review.

Bonus question: Has anyone tried spey casting from a float tube? Is it hard? Impossible? Impractical? Easy?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orvis Shooting Star spey rod

My experience with Orvis:

I love their single hand rods. they are a blast and I've always enjoyed them. Their two-handers, however, I have not had the same experience. I have not casted a shooting star, but I have casted an Access Switch and a Helios Spey. I like neither. When you cast something like a Winston, Echo, high end Sage, even a TFO Deer Creek, you will know what I'm talkhng about. You might not have the same experience though. I would say, ask the Orvis store if you can get out and cast it on the water. My Orvis store is willing to let me do it, so I don't see why yours wouldn't. If you like the rod, then by all means buy it. You fight with spey is just begining though. It's an expensive battle to find out what you like for lines on that rod. Don't let me crush your spey dreams because there is nothing like it. I love it. But, it did take me some time to find out what I liked on Spey.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

There are a lot of bad reviews up for the Access line, especially for the switch versions. Most of the reviews refer to constant rod breakage or the apparently notorious poor reel seat. The Helios rods are also too expensive for me, and I wouldn't really expect them to be as great in the 2 handed version. The shooting stars have gotten great reviews on the site, however, and I could save a lot of money getting the rod from Orvis with my giftcard at about $380. I could also buy the rod somewhere else, and buy the expensive line and maybe a different reel from Orvis. I'm thinking it could be equal money spent both ways, leading me to question whether the Shooting Stars are better than the slightly cheaper echos and tfos.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Bonus question: Has anyone tried spey casting from a float tube? Is it hard? Impossible? Impractical? Easy?
No, and you don't want to. You need to be higher above the water to do it. Now if you wanted to kick along and troll a fly along a weed edge, spey rod would be great. Keeps you from running over the top of the fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
But, it did take me some time to find out what I liked on Spey.
I had the exact opposite. Found it first shot out of the box. I looked to see what everyone thought the best rods were. Meiser and Burkheimer kept coming up. I called Burkheimer and was not sold. Called Bob Meiser and talked quite a while with him. We worked through what I expected and wanted to do. Came up with a rod that would do that. I bought the blank. He told what the best line would be and I took his word for it. I still have that line on the rod.

The closest thing to a complaint I have is that I can cast the whole line out of the dang rod. I had trouble with knots in my backing from casting without enough line on the reel. I had a really big Pike rip me out into backing, and I worried that I would have that happen and a knot would cost me a giant.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

I ended up splicing 30 more feet of running line on the line. I can think of worse problems.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
There are a lot of bad reviews up for the Access line, especially for the switch versions. Most of the reviews refer to constant rod breakage or the apparently notorious poor reel seat. The Helios rods are also too expensive for me, and I wouldn't really expect them to be as great in the 2 handed version. The shooting stars have gotten great reviews on the site, however, and I could save a lot of money getting the rod from Orvis with my giftcard at about $380. I could also buy the rod somewhere else, and buy the expensive line and maybe a different reel from Orvis. I'm thinking it could be equal money spent both ways, leading me to question whether the Shooting Stars are better than the slightly cheaper echos and tfos.
I can back up the rod breakage. My rod snapped at the ferrel. It slipped out and snapped on a cast. As for the reel seat... I loved it! I don't see why people complain about it. I wouldn't say that the Shooting Star is better than a TFO. I have a TFO, it was designed by Bob Meiser and Mike Kenney and they both know their rods and what they're doing. The Echo TR is Tim Rajeff's rod. He knows his rod building as well and I only hear great things when I call spey shops and ask about them. They also load very similar to the TFO Deer Creek from what I'm told. I'm not trying to talk you out of Orvis. By all means, if you cast it and love it, buy it! I'm just saying that you aren't going to go wrong with the TFO or the Echo. They're both awesome rods!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM

How are the warranties on the tfo and echo? Are there any?

I actually found this website the other day (Echo Tim Rajeff Rods) that gives a free Airflo Skagit Compact Shooting Head with each echo TR, you can see the text in stars on the homepage.

I imagine that saves a good portion of money as those lines are expensive. Not sure if thats a good line though.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 AM

That's an excellent line. The tfo and echo are both no bs lifetime I think. I know the echo is. TR is the rod I'd go with...

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

However, you should call poppy at the redshed and ask if you could try that particular line and rod first, to see how you like it. My rule of thumb is to never buy a rod without casting it first... He sells packages himself with rod/reel/line/leader combos. He might have one used that he could package as well. It's worth the phone call.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Maybe I'll aim for that then, and I can grab a new reel and some other stuff with the orvis card. What you thinking on rod weight for LMB. 7 or 8? Not sure how spey rod weights match up to single handers.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM

What are you fishing for? Bass?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Largemouth mostly. My standard largemouth rod is a 6wt though, and I don't really follow the general "8wt for bass" line of thought. I also don't to go too low for a spey though and negate why I'm buying it, which is distance casting.