The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey weight for largemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The recurring theme of a fish not even bending a #7 or 8 Spey rod is just not correct.

Ard
Absolutely True. I even gave a reason why that is not correct. But there is a T-Shirt guy at Orvis who is far more convincing than people who actually do it. Physics be damned.

Just out of curiousity, is there anyone besides myself who regularly fishes for Bass with a two hand rod? How about Pike? How about still water?

You know, there are not a lot of things that really annoy me on this forum, but bad advice, especially bad advice that is repeatedly given does it pretty much everytime. This time the bad advice really didn't come from here. But from some T-Shirt selling know it all who I'll bet you a $100.oo right now has never done it. Where is this Orvis shop at? I want to call and find out just what this guy knows. The idea of a forum like this is to help, not hinder people. Bad advice floats here for what may very well be decades.

On a side note, for some reason the bulk of complete BS advice I see tossed around involves two handers. Just to pre-empt any of the rest of the common BS, You CAN land fish by yourself. You SHOULD NOT use single hand lines on your two hander. You DO NOT need current to load the rod. Switch rods are just short two handers. That's for the "switch rods are not spey rods" believers. Preferences are based on experience and not guesses.
wt bash likes this.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-19-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Just out of curiousity, is there anyone besides myself who regularly fishes for Bass with a two hand rod? How about Pike? How about still water?
I quoted you there Dan only to use as a reference point but that is where I think the personal preference comes into play. Aside from pike fishing I fish bass both smallmouth and largemouth in still waters and don't use the two hander. The single hand rod does just as good if not a better job in my opinion.

Dan has more spey casts under his belt than anyone I can think of and has a deep understanding of exactly what it takes to get a bass sized fly to them. What I think he's trying to tell you is that with a spey, lets use a Scandi head for example, you'll have 35' +/- head on the water, it sticks to the water due to surface tension combine that with leader length and a fly that is either weighted to sink or or a popper (wind resistant) one obviously needs a line with enough mass to lift it up and out of the water the other needs a line with mass to break the surface tension and get it up and out. When you combine all of that and want to achieve any real distance you need a line system heavy enough to overcome all of that and cast they fly close to where you want it. The idea behind spey is to get great distance with great efficiency, can you do that with a 4wt to 6wt spey yeah you can but your working just as hard or in some instances harder to do so than with a single handed rod. Well then why would a single hand spey line like an Ambush head work when its considerably lighter? Because the line's mass is concentrated in a smaller package loading a smaller rod. There is less line on the water to stick and less to move. If you look at the Ambush heads they start at 20' or two times a standard 9 foot fly rod, now look at the spey/shooting head combo most heads range between 2 to 3 times the rod's length, notice a trend? Its all relative to the distance you want to cast and fly you want to present. It has absolutely nothing to do with the size of fish.
Hardyreels and Guest1 like this.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Ok. At what minimum rod weight (slash line weight) would you say then that I would be able to efficiently and without over-effort be able to cast the standard largemouth flies?

If that was a little confusing, at what weight could I comfortably cast them without having to exert extra effort to make up for a weight that is undergunned for the fly sizes and wind resistance?

DD, what weight would you buy in my circumstance, considering that I want to go as light as I can before it becomes inefficient?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
They said a 7wt Spey would be far too much rod and line grain for even a decent sized largemouth, being fairly equivalent to a 9wt standard rod.
Quote:
They don't fish two handers. They are wrong.
13' 7 wt. is as small as I would ever go. EVER.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Ok. It says on the site that the line weight for it is 7/8 so I guess that gives it a little bump for you.

I will reconsider it. Thanks for all your advice.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
Ahhh gee whiz, no, but thanks, I'm done here.

fysh likes this.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

One more thing Nick,

I have a new in the tube Hardy Marksman 2 'T' Series rod upstairs. It is a 13' rated for #8 line, that's a 650 grain line if you use a Hardy line. have a Scientific Anglers Short head #9 line spooled on the reel for it and that line is 680 in the belly and tapers. I'm figuring with my cast style this thing will be a pleasure to fish with. Compared to my big sticks this thing feels like a feather at 7.4 ounces It's gonna bend plenty when I hook that first fish regardless of what it is. Buy the rod,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 PM

Just ordered. Went with the Shooting Star 137-4 and this line:

Spey Fly Line / Easy Cast Floating Spey Line -- Orvis

Thanks everybody for all the help and advice.
fysh likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good call, those leaders that I linked will solve the sink tip issue. I have only floating lines but am always fishing 5 - 6 feet deep in current

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Location: live in the south, but have a second home in Durango Co. Hope to be there full time some day!
troutcomegetit is on a distinguished road

Spey cast for Bass!?!!!! Blown away. Makes a ton of sense, especially when the back cast is tight. I have to give this a shot. Looks like line is key, but how does that affect an angler looking to fish sink tips or a dry tip?