The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Spey weight for largemouth

I went to finally pick up a Spey rod for largemouth today. Was going to get the 7wt Shooting Star from Orvis. The guys at my local orvis are really good guys and they actually turned me away from buying it. They said a 7wt Spey would be far too much rod and line grain for even a decent sized largemouth, being fairly equivalent to a 9wt standard rod.

I was wondering what you all thought of this? Do you agree a 7wt Spey is too much stick for largemouth? If so, what size would you go, 4, 5, 6? Could you also suggest a specific rod?

To stave off some comments, I'm not interested in switch rods.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Spey weight for largemouth

Hi Nick,

I'm no shop guy but............ I catch lots of 2-4 pound trout while using 13' and larger rods with lines ranging from 700 - 1050 grains. There is no problem, the catching is enjoyable and I never worry about having too little rod. I believe that the big lines carry a heavy fly much better than a light line and I can tell you that an 875 gr mid belly will really sail out into the river without overexerting myself.

If you want a 7 weight Shooting Star then you should get one and not let someone who isn't going to fish it change your mind. I just bought a 15' 7/8 rod for trout and light salmon and it'll be fun even with a 12" trout attached.

Ard
Guest1 and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I want to be able to cast far with no back cast, but I want to be able to feel the fish when I hook one. I think he might be right in the fact that a 2lb largemouth on a 7wt Spey with a 450 grain line might be like pulling in a twig.

I mean the 7 is made for steelhead, and I'm catching smaller and lighter fish that generally don't fight as much.

Spey rods aren't cheap, and I don't want to drop a lot of money for a rod that won't give me much enjoyment when I hook a fish.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
They said a 7wt Spey would be far too much rod and line grain for even a decent sized largemouth, being fairly equivalent to a 9wt standard rod.
They don't fish two handers. They are wrong.

The mistake they are making is thinking in single hand terms in the first place. Do not look at this as Size fish = certain weight two hander. Wrong wrong uh wrong and a wrong. Look at this as Distance to deliver fly = rod size. Now let me ask you a question. What fights harder? A 4 pound Largemouth or a 10 pound Walleye? I'll answer you in case you don't know. The Largemouth. Most Walleye fight like a wet sock. A 10 pounder puts up a modestly good fight and I have never had one jump yet. I fish for them with a 15' 8/9 wt. and a 15' 10/11 wt. After much thought I decided I could do better and got Thomas and Thomas to roll me a 17' 11 wt. blank. I wanted an 18'er but couldn't find one.

This is not about the size of the fish and technically speaking, it for the most part shouldn't be with single hand rods either. This should be thought of as the delivery system for a fly. How big is the fly? How far away do you want to drop it? I'll tell you right now, there isn't a Bass fly made I can't cast with those two rods. The question we have left is, how far do you ned to drop them away from you? Or better yet, how far do you WANT to?

I have big water and need to make really long casts. There is no such thing a to long a cast here. You may not need that kind of distance. You may not be able to cast as far as I do either because I fished the snot out of them to get where I can. You may not have the time to invest to get to that point. You may end up a natural and can outcast my distances right away. We never know till you do it. But don't go listening to nonsense like a 7 wt. two hander is a 9 wt single hander equivalent. It's balogna. It's like saying a Laborgini is the equivalent of a Chevy Silverado. In what friggin way? It's apples and oranges.

What does the areas you want to do this look like? Can you cast the outside of long weed edges form a spot you can get in waders? Is there submerged structure way out you would like to hit, and how far is that from where you can stand? What's the longest cast you need to make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I think he might be right in the fact that a 2lb largemouth on a 7wt Spey with a 450 grain line might be like pulling in a twig.

Nope, he's wrong on that one as well.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-17-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

If you enjoyment in the fight of the fish, and lite in the hand a 3 wt Spey is my choice in a rod . I use a ACR 11'9 3wt.with 230 grain line ,this is close to 6,7wt single hand setup fun and not tiring. I use this for trout, and smallmouth bass. I have tried heaver setup but felt if was to much for the size of fish I was targeting.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I would definately go with at least an 8-weight, which is the weight you would ideally use with a single-hand rod. An 8-weight spey rod will make it easier for you to cast bigger flies, especially in somewhat windy conditions.

Randy
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

A Spey line is 2 or more heaver than the same line in single hand.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM

I definitely get you need to think of how far you wanna cast when you choose a Spey rod weight, but it is true that Spey rods are stiffer than single handers, and a 10/11 weight singe can be used to catch big game saltwater fish.

I do want to be able to cast a certain distance, but there's no point if the fish can't even bend the rod when he's hooked. I don't want it to feel like I'm dragging it in with a steel bar.

To this point I think I might agree with the orvis people.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 PM

greased line swinger is on a distinguished road

I use a 5wt. sometimes for LMB, if I'm casting nothing larger than a woolly bugger and I know I won't be casting near submerged vegetation. Otherwise, I use an 8wt. Even then, when I know there's a good chance of large fish, and with some of the bugs I cast, I'd consider going larger if I had something larger and not too long. Consider the size of the flies you want to cast and other factors, besides size of the quarry, when choosing rod weight for bass fishing.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Spey rods are longer than one-handed fly rods, so they (spey rods) are harder to land a fish with. Therefore, I like an 8-weight.

However, perhaps if I had a Skagit rod I'd like a 6- or 7-weight.

Randy