The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Fishing the Ohio River Bank Spey

Was planning to walk along the Ohio River tomarrow and spey cast some shad patterns. Im sure it might be too early yet, but I want to get out and cast some. Anyone else spey the large rivers? results? thanks
Mike
Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing the Ohio River Bank Spey

Me, but I'm pretty sure you knew that already.

As far as results, I think I can own every single fly rod Walleye record in 3 or 4 years at the rate I'm going. Have 7 already. Would have been 8 but I pulled a bonehead move and skipped a line looking at the book and broke one of my own.

Click the image to open in full size.

Busted a Smallie record with my two hander last year also. It's May in this years Hall of Fame calendar. (6 years in a row, half with a two hander)

Get at least a couple 40" plus Pike every year on the two handers. This is the prettiest one so far. I love the colors. Don't see them look like this .... ever?

I hear there is a T-Shirt seller at Orvis that's even more successful at it than I am. We need to find out what he's doing, so we can get the right rods. I hear I'm doing it all wrong.
wt bash, mbphotos54 and rubberguy like this.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I hear there is a T-Shirt seller at Orvis that's even more successful at it than I am. We need to find out what he's doing, so we can get the right rods. I hear I'm doing it all wrong.
Thank you Dan because of that I just poop poop pooped on the floor!!! You guessed it....PIANO! I'll drive that into the ground but I love it! I wish I had to bigger waters to put the spey to work but half of one is closed to protect eagle nesting sites. On a side note I was wondering if you had a formula regarding rear handle length compared to overall rod length or is it just a comfort thing Dan?
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like about 1"/3' of rod. I don't like the really long ones because it makes it harder to balance the rod. I would not go shorter than 4". My Albright has a really long one and added to it it's uplocking. If they were going to go that long they should have turned the seat around. My only complaint about the rod. You don't really need more than you can get your hand over. I tend to have part of my hand lower than the butt when I bomb one into the next time zone and then yell Piano!

I also go at least 1"/foot of rod for the top grip. I don't underhand cast though. I go 60-65% top hand. I don't end with the butt in my gut either. I don't have any real counter flex the way I do it and my rods are not fast. I have seen good scandi guys with rods that go doing the hula at the end of the cast. That has got to knock some serious distance off the cast.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

sweet! theres hope. granted Im using a shorter set up but this could turn out being alot of fun. Dan are you wading a bit or usually up on a bank at water edge, the area here drops off rather sharply. Ill get pics and video of the location.
Mike
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Banned

I wade a bit. With the longer rods like I use I need a bit of water behind me for my anchor but not a lot. If I were to cast at even a 60* downstream I could do it from shore in dress shoes. I generally cast at least straight across for Walleye. Bass I don't really need to wade much because I am tossing right down the outside of the weed beds. I stand on the inside and anchor kind of on the weeds. I Perry Poke out and cast down. I get a ways out from the edge and strip back and because I'm using 15' rods I can keep it on the outside all the way down. Because I toss out a ways, each time I move down I cover a lot of new water. I have had Bass come up and hit flies well away from the weeds. Pike as well. Actually I use the same strategy for Pike. Start upriver and work your way down. Pay attention to holes in the weeds, points, deadfalls, old pilings, etc. It helps to work them from more than one angle.

Make a stripping basket that hangs low on your bottom hand side. I strip the whole head in, then shake it out, Perry Poke and cast back at the same distance out from the weeds after making a few feet farther down river. I also don't move every cast either. I generally work an area harder than most. I'm not a run and gun guy at all. I have fished behind people and outfishd them getting Bass they missed. It pays to work an area hard. I should PM you my phone number.
mbphotos54 likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 PM

looks like the winds may continue into tomorrow, I am still going out to the river but dont expect conditions to be all that good for me. will see how it goes.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM

it was fun chatting with you Dan, anytime sharing fishing stories is always fun. Ill get the photos of the river bank posted later.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Banned

Yes it was fun chatting. Call anytime.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 PM

here is the conditions ill be facing.