The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: sharp hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
everyone's doing it. It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.
tag - you're it !!!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

well, good news bad news... i didn't catch anything (or anyone) today. lol
Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I just saw this thread and all I can say is with a skagit head slow way down.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberguy View Post
it's the start of the newest fad! hang flies on your face to dry before putting back in your box. be the first on your block. you don't want to be the only one that doesn't have this.
I suppose having a Fly Hanging out of The side of The Lug couldn't be any worse than all The Jewelly Lots of people have from their Eyelids,Noses,
Tongues,etc.
Incidently 3 of us were in Melbourne for The Australian Motor GP & were doing The Rounds of The Bars,one Hotel we visited had A Women's Basketball Team having their end of Season Away Party,one Nice young Lady whom we were talking with,as we all had had a fairly good session by then,asked me if I wanted to see where She had an Ear Ring,The Next Thing She had her Shirt Up Showing me.
My two mates quickly came closer & my little mate asked "What was that all about,I said "Just An attractive Young Lady who wanted to show me her Ear Ring" & no I didn't have a Heart Attack.

Brian
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I don't get to see very many Spey casters here where I fish but I have noticed something worth mentioning.

I came from almost 20 solid years of single hand Spey casting; mostly snap T and snake roll style casts with a Perry poke here and there where needed. I am a self taught 2 hand caster who may not be perfect but one thing I've been keen on since my first 2 hand cast is............................... Never allow the fly to be anchoring anywhere to my rear, period. For my applications here the whole point of going to 13 & 15 foot rods was to completely eliminate the need for any back cast space.

Call it a genetic trait for self preservation or call it unconventional casting style, I very seldom have the fly in any position that when executing a cast it can rise up and either strike me or my rod tip. I have seen some people spey cast who use or need about 25 or more feet of clear space behind them when casting. These folks have the fly traveling right past their shoulder and heads when casting.

If I had your experience and were reading this, where a guy claims to be doing Spey casting without ever hooking himself or hitting his rods, I might try to find the secret to his style. Trying to simplify this I will say; start with medium range casting (40 - 60') and work on keeping the sweep and anchor to your front never setting the anchor behind you. Another thing that will help is to practice casting either strait across or to quarter up stream from your position not quartering down. This will eliminate the amount of free space behind you unless you are standing in the center of a river.

Do your practice fishing with your back close to shore and know that sending an anchor & D loop to your rear will result in snagging trees or brush. This in combination with directing casts across or quartered up will force you to place the anchor to your front left or right depending on which side of the river you are fishing from. The obstacles to your rear are like hobbles or a governor on your style and will dictate a safer cast.

Rather than focusing on distance as many of us are prone to do, keep the sights set on smooth safe casting. With patient practice while fishing you will learn where to have that fly every time so that you will not strike anything when you cast. Perhaps I was more concerned with fly placement because my small stuff are tied to Bartleet #4 & 6, and the salmon flies on Gamakatsu 2/0 standard salmon all with barbs. I was acutely aware of what the result of hitting myself would be on my very first cast.

If you are using weight, any kind of weight, lose that and fish a floating line and unweighted fly until you have it down. Then begin to experiment with adding some resistance in the way of tips etc. as you move forward.

For those who may not agree with how I explain this I'll paraphrase the late Hunter S. Thompson here, 'Although I can't recommend this for everyone, it's always worked for me'. He however was not discussing the Spey cast

Ard
rubberguy likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 06-08-2013 at 01:09 AM.