The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough
Default sharp hooks

someone tell me i'm not the only one!
decided to get a little spey casting practice today.
12'6" 6wt ACR w/ 450gr skagit + 15' RIO type 6 tip - 4' tippet w/ caddis pupa.
must've had a brain fart or two... did my "C", sweep to D, then on my forward cast i caught a big 1 ! ME. on my left jaw. 2 holes( in & out). luckily i debarb all my flies. then about 3 casts later - BAM, i hook myself about an inch from the 1st "hook-up". again 2 holes, in & out. casting off my right side, hooking myself on my left. i guess my D loop must've swung around behind me? i feel like a doofus! i was the only thing i caught all day! another reason for eye protection.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sharp hooks

Ouch! That is not an acceptable situation for your poor face's sake. We need to figure out what you are doing right away before you really do some damage.

First you are blowing your anchor because the fly should exit the water in front of you and to whatever side you have your top hand on. Top hand is your right, the fly should exit the water on a up then forward path forward and right of you. If the fly comes back as far or farther that you are, you have blown your anchor. That's assuming you have your anchor set up right in the first place I guess I should say, and that's probably not true either since the fly is hitting you in the face. Or maybe possibly not true. What side of you did this happen and where was the current and wind coming from? When you set up your anchor, where is the fly in relation to you? How fast was the water and was it dragging your fly into a bad spot before you cast? What cast where you making, i.e. snap T, double spey etc.?

If you have properly placed your anchor, and go up into the start position and blow your anchor with, let's say right hand on top, the fly will exit the water and make a path towards behind you, eventually either curving back up and then out into the river, or striking an object behind you and then traveling out into the river. It should still miss you by a safe distance. Now if you have a short head, make your sweep up into the start position but raise the rod tip to high early in the sweep and allow the wind to push your D loop over at you and then blow your anchor, maybe even combined with an anchor placement to far back and close, you may very well be asking for a free piercing.

It would be hard to say what all is going wrong without video, but I would suggest you try a couple of things. Watch very carefully where you place your fly and your anchor. Watch where your line kisses the water. Slow down. You are putting to much power in the wrong spot and that is causing the blown anchor. You can get away with a fly right in front of you as long as you don't blow your anchor. But till you are so comfortable with casting you don't need to think about it, keep the fly off to your side a safe distance. If your fly ends up in front of you, abort the cast. If your fly ends up close and behind you, abort the cast.

Till I get more information, that's about all I can think of right off the bat. Get back to me on what I asked and we will work the face hooking kinks out of your cast.

OK, I just reread your post. You have a couple of serious faults going here. The D loop should never pass around behind you. If your fly had been properly placed you would have hooked yourself every cast and not just the couple you did. You need to keep the fly out in front and to the side. You need a longer leader. 4' is way to short. I don't think you are getting a good anchor, I think you are going into the cast poorly placed and a combination of things going on here. Can you shoot video for me?

One more question, how long is your head and do you have a cheater on it?

Last edited by Guest1; 02-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

Dan, i'm using a skagit flight 450gr @ 24' paired with a 15' Rio type 6 sink tip, with a 4' leader to the fly. i was using the flight with 10' MOW tip but was told by Bob Pauli to try the 15' to eliminate blown casts. i'm still getting used to the extra 5' of sink tip. my anchor seems to really Stick on my forward cast.( not allowing the cast to shoot out.) when i do my snap T the tip is going upstream but it seems to sink quicker than my T-11 did. i was trying to speed up my sweep to swing this tip around. i'm thinking this extra length is where my problem lies. my last time out i was getting 93' out without any problems. after a few days off i wasn't casting the same way? but it slowly gets better as the day goes along.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I think the added length is going to help. You may need a bit of getting used to it. On Skagit you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 3X the length of the rod. You've got 39' with 12.5x3 = 37.5. You are right in there. How do you think you are getting hit on the bottom hand side with the fly? What path is it making and where does it start from? Also, why only 4' of leader? I never go shorter than my rod even when I add a sink tip.

One more thought. If you sweep your rod low coming into the start position and keep it low for way to long, essentially starting the cast with the rod tip way to low, you could swing the D loop back to your left behind you. That would cause the line to pass over your left side. If the fly was properly placed I think you would just hang your self up in the head, but combined with a blown anchor it would bring the fly crossing your back and over your left shoulder at a path aiming to your rod tip on your right, making your head a pretty easy target. It also takes a lot of power out of your cast dropping the rod tip low going into the start position. This would cost you distance. Trying to get that distance back by hitting it harder will cause the blown anchors.

You need to sweep low and steady coming into forming your D loop so that your fly is forward and right of you. There should not really be a pause because you should be doing a sustained anchor cast. Come up into the start position with the rod tip high and without a real pause (watch your head and fly placement though and make sure you have the fly in the right position and the anchor ) and go into the cast. You need to stop the rod tip high on the end of the forward stroke also. Going to far forward with that short a head.

Also, that trying to speed up was I am sure part of the problem. Where does your fly hit when you do the snap? You may want to aim it for farther up river and farther out. I think your placement is part of it.
rubberguy likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Or maybe just a good weed guard would help......
rubberguy likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 AM

could've been worse ! ( 1 on jaw line 1 by stache ) at least it wasn't a "crank bait" !!!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Ouch! Actually it looks a third one kind of grazed you. What do you want to bet that you end with a dandy bruise there also.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

YOW!! Look at it this way , gives your face some fly man patina!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 PM

it's the start of the newest fad! hang flies on your face to dry before putting back in your box. be the first on your block. you don't want to be the only one that doesn't have this.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberguy View Post
it's the start of the newest fad! hang flies on your face to dry before putting back in your box. be the first on your block. you don't want to be the only one that doesn't have this.
Everyone's doing it. It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.
rubberguy likes this.