The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough
Default Echo SR 4106

Just purchased this rod 10'6" 4wt got a great deal due to newer model (2013) being updated in a different color and they shaved some weight off the cork composite on the grip. I was looking for some recommendations on what size reel to match. If I go Lamson litespeed or guru should I go with the 3 or 3x 3.5? I have a scandi 240 compact head for swinging wets and soft hackles to trout and for indicator fishing I have a few lines to try on it when the rod arrives. Basically I have heard through surfing the web that the general consensus is that most recommend sizing up the reel a size or two. Any thoughts on the two reel options aforementioned for this rod?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Echo SR 4106

Hi Nickel,
I have an Echo 'Dec Hogan' 11' 9" 4wt spey with a 300gr Scandi Compact and I've been using a Hardy Marquis #7, while the reel is just a bit on the small side, it does the job.

I just picked up a very nice used Orvis Battenkill mid-arbor V (5) that I'm strongly considering putting on this spey rod and the Marquis would go back on a 6wt streamer rod where it was before. The Orvis is almost identical in width, but maybe 3/16 to a 1/4 of an inch larger in diameter and will fit the 300gr line perfectly.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 03-04-2013 at 09:21 PM.