The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Catfish spey

Well, the weather was perfect, in the mid 60's! All of this trial and error fishing for catfish and other warm water species has finally started to pay off! Today, I landed my first catfish on the spey rod! I was taking my sage graphite 3e out to practice and ran into some fisherman, carrying out three stringers full if channel cat. I asked the fishermen what they were using. Night crawlers. So, I decided that I would use a similar pattern... It just so happened that I had a few tied up with flash yarn, in my box. I tied a red one on. First cast, I hooked into a monster which about straightened my hook. Unfortunately, I lost that one. Anxious and excited, I decided the I would bend the hook back to shape and try again. On the second cast, I landed a drum, which put up a heck of a fight! Click the image to open in full size.

A couple of casts later, I landed my first catfish on the spey!

Click the image to open in full size.

Now, for the great Missouri to warm up so that I can get out there and landed a monster on my meiser!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catfish spey

Catfish on a two hander. That's about as cool as it gets. A pioneering feat.

That Drum is pretty cool also. They are fun fighters.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

You know what's funny? I went back out to get some more catfish to put in the freezer with my caster gear. I got more hits from fish on my fly rod and the synthetic bait than I did the real thing.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I've never tried fly-fishing for catfish, but I've heard from those who have that flies often out fish natural bait, especially in clearer water where they can see the fly as opposed to smelling it.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Way to go, you're gonna become our channel cat master.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 AM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

I've been wanting to do this for the past month. My friends think I am nuts but I wanna take it off my checklist. Do you have pictures of the flies you got the cats on?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:56 PM

I do. Sorry that I just now noticed this reply. I will tie some more and get them up. They work for carp as well, as I found out yesterday. I landed a 15 pounder on a 5 weight spey with 7x tippet...

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

Thanks!!!! I'm gonna give it a try and see what kind of trouble I get into.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM

spnyfish is on a distinguished road

Thanks also. I'm gonna tie some of those up for my local cats! Always wondered if I get them on a fly. Very cool.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnyfish View Post
Thanks also. I'm gonna tie some of those up for my local cats! Always wondered if I get them on a fly. Very cool.
Catfish will take a fly on occasion, but they aren't caught often. Catfish have some sort of sixth sense that allows them to sense body heat. They actually eat nymphs and even occasionally on the surface, but they can tell if something is actually alive. I've caught a few in crystal clear water when they don't need there sixth sense.