The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Using Spey Rod for Single hand Line of heavy weights

I was pondering an idea to get me another reel and putting 10+ wt WF line to use with my 12.6 6wt spey rod. Just thinking it would be another way to utilize gear with out needed alot of other gear since I have overhead casted the scandi short but its goofy.. if that makes sense. anyone else do this?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Spey Rod for Single hand Line of heavy weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
I was pondering an idea to get me another reel and putting 10+ wt WF line to use with my 12.6 6wt spey rod. Just thinking it would be another way to utilize gear with out needed alot of other gear since I have overhead casted the scandi short but its goofy.. if that makes sense. anyone else do this?
I would forget the idea. If you want to overhead cast, get a line that you can spey cast with an integrated running line. Make it a short belly line. By overhead casting I mean one backcast and shoot. No hauling, no single hand nonsense. Shake the head out, perry poke to get the fly away from you, throw your backcast and shoot.

If you decide you want to do this a bunch, you should realize the forces are a lot greater than with a single hand rod. Things like factory braided loops are doomed.

Leave the single hand lines on the single hand rods.

Just for fun I thought I'd toss this video in.
MoscaPescador and fredaevans like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Using Spey Rod for Single hand Line of heavy weights

thanks, I actually tried this while cleaning my lines this evening, and I was able to do as you said, one backcast with 20-30 feet of shooting line off the rod, and then launch, it wasnt to bad. I put my 8wt wf line on it just to clean it and was able to cast like my 10ft 8wt well, it was clunky being so big, but if I got into a spot with really high grass it might come in handy. its just fun testing.