The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By delopez
  • 2 Post By cb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Single hand spey casting

So, I decided I'd do some grass spey casting today. This is the result.

It's a lot different casting on grass. Luckily, I had one of Joni's leaders on. They make an excellent grass anchor!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice
Default Re: Single hand spey casting

Nice smooth casting!

Be careful practising on grass too much though as your ‘kiss & go’ timing - once ingrained – can be tough to change and is normally different on water!

Cheers

Colin
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've read this prior to posting and trust you will not view what I say as criticism, I am just relating some thoughts based on my own practices & experience.

I only see one thing that makes me curious.

While I agree that the casting is smooth, you are using a lot of back space. Let me clarify what I mean by that; I took up Spey style casting with both single & 2 hand rods because of one important need. That 'need' was to eliminate the need for back cast space. Many situations in fly fishing (wet fly and streamers) present the problem of not having sufficient space for standard over head fly casting. A 45 foot forward cast & presentation requires at least 20 - 25 foot of clear space to the rear for your back cast. Many areas I have fished and currently fish in do not offer this much or more space for back casting. Thus the Spey cast, but I cast without the need to place any anchoring line to my rear. All anchors are placed to my upstream shoulder regardless of which side I face the rivers flow from. By doing so, I am able to reach great distances on a forward cast reaching either strait across or slightly up stream from my position with virtually no open space to my rear.

I should go on to say that this style casting I have never found conducive to fishing dry flies. When fishing the dry you have much more latitude on where you can be at in the stream channel. Because most dry fly fishing is accomplished with an upstream presentation, one can sometimes fish their way up a stream wading in the channel and casting to fish above their position that are visibly feeding on the surface.

The wet or streamer fly is much different presentation wise. We generally move in a downstream direction and seek to stay out of the stream channel as much as possible. The fish we seek are not visible and we need to consider that they may be anywhere within the streams banks. The closer to shore you are the better to cover the water with the swinging fly and to search for those hidden fish. Here is where the Spey cast will shine! With hardly more than a few feet between your back and the trees & brush you can fish very effectively.

If I have enough room to my rear to cast in the way I see you doing on the video, I would probably use my standard over head casting techniques unless I were using a 2 hand rod.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Hey Ard,

Thanks for the reply. I will take it as "constructive" criticism. I agree with you. However, the only argument that I have to this is that I was grass casting. To load up the rod a little more on the grass, I attempted to get a larger d-loop. I do a ton of spey casting from the bank on my river. It has been barged out and is an average of 9-10' of depth, so wading is pretty much impossible. In the water and on the bank, I tend to place my anchor just in front of me, or in front of the bank. I will do a video on that soon. I have high banks behind me and lots of obstructions, so I'm usually casting in a 45 degree angle downstream, or perry poking to cast in more of an 85 degree, straight across.

the idea behind the grass casting that day was to gain a little more smoothness. Since you can pull your anchor point a lot easier on the grass, it forces me to pay more attention and, thus, forces me to be a lot smoother with my cast. I hope this makes sense.

Also, all constructive criticism is welcome. How would we learn without it!?

Thanks,
Dallas Lopez
Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

What type of line were you using? I find that when I spey with a one hander using a standard WF line, I cast a lot better if I shorten the head to just beyond the front taper. This allows for a smaller D-Loop because I am concentrating the majority of the mass into the loop rather than the anchor. Having the mass as an anchor kinda sucks because there is nothing to load the rod with.

That being said, if I do cast with the whole head of a WF line, my D-Loop has to be pretty large to get enough line out there to load the rod properly, pretty similar to the video.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 AM

I was usually a rio pike line. I had the full 40' out. It turned over and launched just fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

I have agree with what is said in this thread and say that water vs grass is different when using spey casting technique. But smooth casting indeed!