The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cast piling up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
To get out to where you want the only answer may be a 12.5 - 14 foot spey rod. Bye the bye I love the casts where there's more going out (energy) than the cast needed and it jerks more line of the reel. A real smile maker!
Well, I might just need to take my 13 footer out. Its set up with a 600 grain head. Hmmmm, I was thinking about hitting the water on Friday...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I will refer back a few posts to the reply you got from cb, Colin suggested a long belly / head line may make casting more enjoyable. I realize that many people are first introduced to the short head / running line style of casting, however once you understand the basic mechanics of casting the transition to long belly will be easier.

There is way too much to discuss when considering the differences between fishing the traditional lines vs. the Skagit type heads to address here. It may be something you would enjoy. For a 13' rod you would be looking at a full floating Spey line with head length in the 55 - 60' range. These will change your casting dramatically I assure you.
cb likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-21-2013, 08:13 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Cast piling up

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
Well, I might just need to take my 13 footer out. Its set up with a 600 grain head. Hmmmm, I was thinking about hitting the water on Friday...
Take that Puppy to WORK! To paraphrase: 'Would you bring a pocket knife to a gun fight?'

Yaaazer

Fred
Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I will refer back a few posts to the reply you got from cb, Colin suggested a long belly / head line may make casting more enjoyable. I realize that many people are first introduced to the short head / running line style of casting, however once you understand the basic mechanics of casting the transition to long belly will be easier.
I think Ill get ahold of the guy that is recommended here that makes custom lines based on what you have next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Take that Puppy to WORK! To paraphrase: 'Would you bring a pocket knife to a gun fight?'
Yeah, I just got the reel all set up last night. Friday is looking like at about 3 or 4 will be low tide. That just happens to be the same time that I get off of work. Should be a good time I hope.