The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By nick k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default So close, last question

Hey guys. I've narrowed everything down to basically 2 rods for my first spey. I was originally planning on going a little cheaper but I picked up some extra spending cash so now Meiser is my guy.

The question is between the S series 5wt and 6wt. I've got some really great input from Bob, and I know which one he's leaning towards, but I'd really appreciate some last minute input from the crowd on popular vote.

For some background, the rod will be used in freshwater (stillwater) for largemouth and similar warmwater species. The LMB also do not get very big here, with most being under 3lbs and almost all being under 5lbs. Flies range from small and unweighted to larger and weighted (including foam frogs and mice).

I really appreciate all the help in my search so far.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So close, last question

It's all about payload management. If you plan on throwing mouse patterns, the 6 weight will be the better stick.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

How far can I throw a mouse fly with a 5wt? I wouldn't really be lobbing mouse flies or foam frogs into the center of big ponds (just because thats not where those types of prey are found in the water space). I would use them along the shoreline or in the rivers here, but there are no wide rivers so I don't think that will be much of an issue.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
It's all about payload management. If you plan on throwing mouse patterns, the 6 weight will be the better stick.
First "a good call" (no bad pun intended) to Bob. Known him for years and his/Steve G's 'shop' is a 10 minute drive from my front door. But MP's right on with his comment. Fly size drives a lot of the 'answer.' As a rod, either will handle anything you're likely to hook, but the size of the fly is really quite something else.

Fred
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM

I definitely get that fly size is really the determining factor here, I'm just not acquainted enough with spey lines and grain weights to determine that for myself. As I've never cast a spey line before, it is hard for me to know how a big fly vs a small fly feels to throw on different line weights, shooting heads, etc. This is why I look to people here for advice on specifics.

Where I live is also not popular for spey rodders (in fact they are all but non existent here) and I don't live too close to a store that stocks spey rods and is willing to let me test fire a few off (plus I'd have to learn how first).

I know that a 6wt will cast a larger fly easier, but I really have no idea right now how much easier, or how much farther.

I know I didn't fully ask my question in a way that would get the responses I was looking for, so here is really what I'd like to know: which one would YOU pick, not necessarily why, as I have that figured out.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

On the choice of 'line' talk to Steve Godshall ... he's right across the room from Bob. He builds custom cut fly lines, he knows the rods, all he needs to know is the 'who, what, where' where you're going to fish same.

All of his lines (most of my 2handers are loaded with special cuts) are one offs. You and I may have exactly the same rod, but the 'odds' of you/I getting the exact same line are pretty small. Same grain weight, but over a foot or two more head, etc.

Line won't cost you a penny more than something off the shelf.

Fred
Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on asking Bob about the Godshall lines from his site and I will now make sure to.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was planning on asking Bob about the Godshall lines from his site and I will now make sure to.
Good Answer!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I had the 14' 9 weight S and a 6** grain scandi line. I could've thrown turkeys with that rod/line combo.