The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 PM

flyfishn28 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello New to Spey fishing

Hello everyone,

My name is Steven and have been fly fishing for many years and even was an instructor for orvis and g loomis for awhile. I live in orlando now and received a spey rod a few years ago and have not go to try it yet. I hope to meet some great people on this forum and share lies i mean stories and info.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello New to Spey fishing

Steven: Welcome to the forum! We have quite a few folks that use the 2 handed rods.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM

Its new to me but so confusing on the tips

I received a 10-11-12 spey rod as a gift a few years back and would really like to use it but need help with the tips. It was a custom rod and im only going by what i was told about the rod (no markings).

I have a pack of rio tips

11wt 4,6 m
40,8 grams
2,3 g/m
type 3 (7,6 cm/s)

11wt 15ft
166 grains
11.1 gr/ft
type 6 (6ips)

12 wt 3,7 m
14,2 grams
3,1 g/m
sink tip comp

a clear tip with no tag
and a bright yellow tip that was on the reel

There is no real place i have found that can explain all these numbers to me in english LOL
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Hello New to Spey fishing

I was in your position about eight months ago. My first piece of advice is to not get hung up on all the numbers you posted. I tried to make some sense of it also and got quite frustrated. So, step 1, get a good dvd instructional series like Rio's three disc set and view it several times. It will give you some idea what spey casting is all about and start to put some perspective on the sport. Second, use this forum to find someone else in your area who is an experienced spey caster and offer to buy lunch or dinner in trade for some one on one conversation about what you have, what you need, and where to get some lessons. Finally, practice, practice and practice. The fact that you are an experienced fly caster is a blessing and a curse. The spey rod is designed to do a lot of the work you are used to doing yourself with your single handed rods. It takes some getting used to, but the light will start to shine and soon you'll be making relatively effortless casts of 50, 60, or much further.

Last comment, the rod you have does not sound to me like a rod to learn on. You may want to consider investing some money on lighter outfit to learn on and then work you way up to rod you have.

PS, the material you posted definitely came from Europe. In the U.S. we use grains instead of CM and feet instead of meters. A step to help you relate to material produced on this side of the pond would be to convert all the measurements to grains and feet. Then you might have an easier task of figuring it out.

I copied this section from your post

11wt 4,6 m This is an 11 weight tip that is 4.6 meters or about 15 feet long. It is to be looped to the end of you spey line.
40,8 grams It weight 40.8 grams, or
2,3 g/m 2.4 grams per meter
type 3 (7,6 cm/s) It is a type 3 sinking tip with a sink rate of 7.6 cm per second
Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the info, I have been watching lots of videos but was confused on the tips. Like you said i just need to go practice a lot. I figured it would be a good surf rod for pompano, reds, blues, and anything else thats in the ocean.

It was custom made and given to me by a friend that won it at a banquet auction but they cant remember what brand the blank was.

Now to find someone that Spey casts. LOL
Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Steven,

Wish you were with me the past few days, you could have came up to speed during some of the best weather we've had in Alaska in 8 years. I had several rods with but used a 15' Winston 7/8 for my fishing.

It'll be hard to answer all questions over the miles but everyone here on the forum who uses 2 hand rods will try to help you. My best advice is that you don't get caught up in 'hair splitting' over Spey rods and casting. If I can do it then I figure there is hope for all who try. Be careful and don't try to cast a mile right off the bat.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-27-2013, 09:10 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Welcome Steven. You've come to the right place--lots of incredibly knowledgeable and helpful people here who can answer any question you might have.

I took up Spey casting myself a year ago and have just gotten to the point that I'm now "fishing" as opposed to just "casting". Like anything, it takes practice and some trial and error. But man oh man--when you hook that first fish on a double-handed rod. . . !

From what I understand a 10-11-12 weight double-handed rod is a pretty heavy rod. You may want to try something in the 7-8-9 weight range to start--most guys find that just fine for salmon and steelhead, for example. Of course, it depends on the water you're fishing and the fish you're going after.

The package of Rio tips you have sound like one of their "VersiTip" systems--a bunch of tips you can loop onto the running line to adapt to various water conditions. The Type 3-6-8 tips are various densities of sinking tips (8 being the heaviest), the clear tip is an "intermediate" tip (about 1-2 ips I think), and the yellow one is a floating tip. I use an identical VersiTip system on my single-handed 8 wt for salmon and steelhead and like it.

I hate to recommend another forum when this one is so good, but speypages.com is another good source of info for all things double-handed. Ard (hardyreels) and Fred Evans, another poster on this forum, also frequent that forum and they can tell you pretty much anything you need to know about double-handed fishing.

Scott
Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Just be aware: you're walking into a lot of problems. I think this will help:
Getting Started With Spey Casting
Randy
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Thanks again everyone for all the info. I was going to use the rod mostly for surf fishing.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Hello New to Spey fishing

That's really a great read that you put together Randy. Thanks for taking time to write it up and share it with us.
Hardyreels likes this.