The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By nick k
  • 1 Post By delopez

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Great scandi casting video

I was searching YouTube today for some spey casting instructional videos when I came across this particular one. It is an extremely helpful, professional, and intuitive video by Henrik Mortensen on the basics of the Scandinavian casting style.

If anyone else here is just learning how to use 2 handed rods, I highly recommend taking a look at the link below.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Great scandi casting video

Good post Nick,

well filmed and the fellow is good with his explanations. He is very good with his casts.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I've watched that one a few times but I need to watch it more; I also just went through the 3 DVD set "Rio's Modern Spey Casting" with Simon Gawesworth which I highly recommend. Simon does the opposite with his right foot back but Henrik's idea makes sense to keep from rotating too much with the D-loop. I'm having lots of fun learning!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

You have to also think that in this video, he's doing a lot of casting on the bank, itself. Henrik is my biggest influence in casting. Either way, Simon is coming to one of my river's in the spring. I'm headed down to join the clinic and learn from one of the masters!
wannafish likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 PM

djergensen is on a distinguished road

Good stuff! Thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:46 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I've watched many instructional videos online but I really like Henrik simple explanation and put them into practice.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I've watched that one a few times but I need to watch it more; I also just went through the 3 DVD set "Rio's Modern Spey Casting" with Simon Gawesworth which I highly recommend. Simon does the opposite with his right foot back but Henrik's idea makes sense to keep from rotating too much with the D-loop. I'm having lots of fun learning!
I am interested in buying that DVD, but can you tell me if there was something that you didn't like about it?

Last edited by runningfish; 02-04-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I've watched many instructional videos online but I really like Henrik simple explanation and put them into practice.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

I am interested in buying that DVD, but can you tell me if there was something that you didn't like about it?
No, I am very pleased with the set; lots of good stuff for the money. (3 CD set RIO'S MODERN SPEYCASTING)
Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 AM

qacwac will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting this.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

To be honest, I found the video somewhat lacking (not enough technique). The video didn't help me improve my casting.

My two cents,

Randy
Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

Very nice video. I enjoy watching some of his other videos too. Simple but very effective techniques for scandi casting.