The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default TFO Deer Creek, Switch, shooting head?

Need feedback on a shooting head recommendation. Going to be helping a buddy build a TFO Deer Creek 6wt. 11' switch for his wife. This rod will be used mainly for fishing the central coast of Calif surf using a two handed overhead cast. She is popping out 80 to 90' cast with my Sage "One" 7 wt. switch, but that rod is a little over gunned for the water we fish. Hence the 6 wt. I throw a T-11 30' 330 grain Level T head on the Sage and can routinely hit 100', but don't have a clue for the TFO.

Line recommendations/ thoughts etc.....?

Thanks,
Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 07-18-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TFO Deer Creek, Switch, shooting head?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Say it isn't so, I didn't stump the pros. If you guys don't know I am in deep doodoo

So what should I do? Get a 30' T-11 and start hacking off feet until we get what we think works best for the rod?

The only reason I say T-11 is rumor and articles I have read mention that T-14 Level T lines may eventually crack the ferrules due to over stressing the rod. Fact or fiction?
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: TFO Deer Creek, Switch, shooting head?

For the salt with a switch, I use either a wulff ambush line or a skagit head. Skagit heads work great in the salt even for two-handed overhead casts, obviously they will deliver large salt flies with ease and can be thrown a mile. I would go with maybe a 390-400 grain skagit, I like the airflo skagit compact best for spey, but for two handed overhead I would go with a rio skagit flight beacause the taper isn't as severe and will be better suited for overhead. These skagit flights are on closeout by rio so you'd better hurry and get one if you want to go this route. I've tried a lot of different lines in the salt for my switch #8 and the skagit is by far my fav. I use a 510 grain, but again, for a #6 I'd say 390-400 should be good. good luck.

Also, I use a thick running line when using skagit in the salt, typically .38-.42 dia. I wouldn't use the thinner .25-.30 for overhand, too little line control.