The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap reel for my cheap Spey set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
+1 on the 1598.
solid reels!
There's 3 for sale now, "you know where"
A 1498DA, a 1498CJ, and a 1598RC.
Surprisingly the 1598 currently has the highest bid
Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I searched for 1598s last night and this morning and didn't see any... is a 1498 likely big enough?

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Also, I strapped my biggest real on there last night (my Okuma 7/8) and added weight until it felt reasonably balanced, that seemed to come at a total weight of about 14.75 oz. Are any of these things going to be anywhere near that heavy when rigged up?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The 1498 and the 1598 are basically the same except the 1500 series have an exposed rim. The spools are interchangeable.
I use my 1598 for my 11wt lines....

That 1598 that's for sale "over there" is mistakenly called a 1498 in the ad. You'd have to look to know the difference.
I like traditional look of the 1400s better anyway and if you modify the reel like I did to a couple of mine, the rim control isn't missed.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

There's a mistake on the CJ too
The ad says its a 1498..... it's really a 1494
Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

I use the 1498's and a 1496. I bought most of them for around $30.00 and sometimes they had extra spools. They work just fine for my spey rods but they are a little on the light side for balancing my rods. I have had no problems with the drags either. All of my single hand rods I use left hand wind reels but most of my Pfluegers are right hand wind. That took a little getting used to, but now I have no problem reeling with either hand. I use 30# backing, Varivas AIRS 36# running line, and Skagit flights up to 600gr. Here in the Great lakes the fish just don't have enough room to run real far.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer View Post
most of my Pfluegers are right hand wind. That took a little getting used to, but now I have no problem reeling with either hand.
With only a little effort, it's easy to switch from left to right or vice versa with all of the Medalist reels except the 1492 and the 1492 1/2 models
I could help if you want...... I have no problem with either hand myself... either
Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the same boat and considering an Okuma Sierra 10/11.

I know the Okuma Sierra has a good reputation, but any ideas if it's heavy enough to balance the rod? Listed weight is 6 oz.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:16 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I'm still hemming and hawwing a bit... I've seen the Sierra listed at only 6.0 oz for the 10/11 while the Integrity is listed at 8.5 and the SLV is listed at 9.7 oz.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:39 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm still hemming and hawwing a bit... I've seen the Sierra listed at only 6.0 oz for the 10/11 while the Integrity is listed at 8.5 and the SLV is listed at 9.7 oz.
Don't know if it makes any difference to you or not, but both the Integrity & SLV are large arbor reels, while the Sierra is not.

I own several Integrity & Sierra reels, and IMO, for the price they're very good reels. I don't have any experience with the SLV's however.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Okuma Cascade, a large arbor, and the extra spools are only 10 bucks.

Randy
Old 07-28-2013, 11:31 AM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road

I've picked up some South Bend 1155's very cheap on ebay. They seem to balance well on my TLR, Echo and Deer Creek