Cheap reel for my cheap Spey set-up

caberguy

Reaction score
Looking for a reel to go with my $40 on sale Cabelas TLr 13' 8wt rod. Going to be used mostly on the Milwaukee and Root rivers during the fall run (for now anyway). I'm thinking of picking up either a Okuma SLV or Integrity 10/11... leaning towards the Integrity at the moment. I've got the SLV on my single handed 8wt and like it well enough (other than a slight paranoia that I'll lose the drag adjustment knob). Any compelling reason to choose one over the other? Anything else I should be considering... keeping in mind that I can get either of them for less then $50.

Also wondering if there's a really compelling reason to use #30 or #35 backing rather than the #20 that I have a bunch of. I figure even with #20 the tippet is still going to be the weakest link by a fair bit.

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Unless you are fishing for very large fish there is no reason not to use 20lb. backing. The heavier stuff has a larger diameter so it takes less to fill in the spool.

caseywise

Reaction score
yeah, 20 lb. backing should be fine for your area.
as far as a cheap reel, whats your budget"
your gonna want something with some weight to it.
an old system 2 10/11 comes to mind:cool:

casey

caberguy

Reaction score
I guess my budget is pretty much as cheap as possible to get the job done at the moment. Since I pretty much bought the rod on a whim I don't want to spend too much to get it up and running. I'm also not in a particular hurry. I can get either of those Okumas for about $45... I'll watch ebay to see what comes up... System 2s, J.W. Youngs and maybe a few other things.

tex

Reaction score
Problem isn't the reel, its the spey line itself. $150 for the Rio Skagit setup with the MOW tips...ouch!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Problem isn't the reel, its the spey line itself. $150 for the Rio Skagit setup with the MOW tips...ouch!
Exactly.

"Also wondering if there's a really compelling reason to use #30 or #35 backing rather than the #20 that I have a bunch of. I figure even with #20 the tippet is still going to be the weakest link by a fair bit. "

Wrong call on the 20# backing! The internal of an 8wt line will usually be right at 25 to 30#'s so you need backing that's at least as heavy. You've got no bit deal if you hang up your leader, but you do have a very big deal if you hang up any part of your fly line.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I bought a second hand but unused Medalist 1598 with an extra spool for $20
I think that you'll find quite a few of them around even though they're no longer made.
The SA System 2 reels aren't made any longer either but even still they're a little more pricy. My 10/11 was $100.

Don't confuse "cheap" with "inexpensive". "Cheap" is not going to hold up.

Last edited:

caberguy

Reaction score
Right, that's part of the "as cheap as possible to get the job done," obviously a piece of junk that won't work and doesn't have a decent drag won't get the job done.

caberguy

Reaction score
Well, I got a line. SA Mastery Skagit Extreme integrated 600gr, that'll get me going. Now I just need something to wrap it around.

caberguy

Reaction score
I searched for 1598s last night and this morning and didn't see any... is a 1498 likely big enough?

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Also, I strapped my biggest real on there last night (my Okuma 7/8) and added weight until it felt reasonably balanced, that seemed to come at a total weight of about 14.75 oz. Are any of these things going to be anywhere near that heavy when rigged up?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The 1498 and the 1598 are basically the same except the 1500 series have an exposed rim. The spools are interchangeable.
I use my 1598 for my 11wt lines.... ;)

That 1598 that's for sale "over there" is mistakenly called a 1498 in the ad. You'd have to look to know the difference.
I like traditional look of the 1400s better anyway and if you modify the reel like I did to a couple of mine, the rim control isn't missed. :teef:

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

There's a mistake on the CJ too
The ad says its a 1498..... it's really a 1494

lake flyer

Reaction score
I use the 1498's and a 1496. I bought most of them for around $30.00 and sometimes they had extra spools. They work just fine for my spey rods but they are a little on the light side for balancing my rods. I have had no problems with the drags either. All of my single hand rods I use left hand wind reels but most of my Pfluegers are right hand wind. That took a little getting used to, but now I have no problem reeling with either hand. I use 30# backing, Varivas AIRS 36# running line, and Skagit flights up to 600gr. Here in the Great lakes the fish just don't have enough room to run real far.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
most of my Pfluegers are right hand wind. That took a little getting used to, but now I have no problem reeling with either hand.
With only a little effort, it's easy to switch from left to right or vice versa with all of the Medalist reels except the 1492 and the 1492 1/2 models
I could help if you want...... I have no problem with either hand myself... either :D

mudbug

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat and considering an Okuma Sierra 10/11.

I know the Okuma Sierra has a good reputation, but any ideas if it's heavy enough to balance the rod? Listed weight is 6 oz.

caberguy

Reaction score
I'm still hemming and hawwing a bit... I've seen the Sierra listed at only 6.0 oz for the 10/11 while the Integrity is listed at 8.5 and the SLV is listed at 9.7 oz.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I'm still hemming and hawwing a bit... I've seen the Sierra listed at only 6.0 oz for the 10/11 while the Integrity is listed at 8.5 and the SLV is listed at 9.7 oz.
Don't know if it makes any difference to you or not, but both the Integrity & SLV are large arbor reels, while the Sierra is not.

I own several Integrity & Sierra reels, and IMO, for the price they're very good reels. I don't have any experience with the SLV's however.