The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/)
-   -   Cheap reel for my cheap Spey set-up (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/325803-cheap-reel-my-cheap-spey-set-up.html)

caberguy 07-21-2013 05:45 PM

Cheap reel for my cheap Spey set-up

Looking for a reel to go with my $40 on sale Cabelas TLr 13' 8wt rod. Going to be used mostly on the Milwaukee and Root rivers during the fall run (for now anyway). I'm thinking of picking up either a Okuma SLV or Integrity 10/11... leaning towards the Integrity at the moment. I've got the SLV on my single handed 8wt and like it well enough (other than a slight paranoia that I'll lose the drag adjustment knob). Any compelling reason to choose one over the other? Anything else I should be considering... keeping in mind that I can get either of them for less then $50.

Also wondering if there's a really compelling reason to use #30 or #35 backing rather than the #20 that I have a bunch of. I figure even with #20 the tippet is still going to be the weakest link by a fair bit.

Kerry Pitt 07-21-2013 06:17 PM

Re: Cheap reel for my cheap Spey set-up

Unless you are fishing for very large fish there is no reason not to use 20lb. backing. The heavier stuff has a larger diameter so it takes less to fill in the spool.

caseywise 07-21-2013 06:43 PM

yeah, 20 lb. backing should be fine for your area.
as far as a cheap reel, whats your budget"
your gonna want something with some weight to it.
an old system 2 10/11 comes to mind:cool:

casey

caberguy 07-22-2013 11:01 AM

I guess my budget is pretty much as cheap as possible to get the job done at the moment. Since I pretty much bought the rod on a whim I don't want to spend too much to get it up and running. I'm also not in a particular hurry. I can get either of those Okumas for about $45... I'll watch ebay to see what comes up... System 2s, J.W. Youngs and maybe a few other things.

tex 07-22-2013 01:27 PM

Problem isn't the reel, its the spey line itself. $150 for the Rio Skagit setup with the MOW tips...ouch!

fredaevans 07-22-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tex (Post 574942)
Problem isn't the reel, its the spey line itself. $150 for the Rio Skagit setup with the MOW tips...ouch!

Exactly.

"Also wondering if there's a really compelling reason to use #30 or #35 backing rather than the #20 that I have a bunch of. I figure even with #20 the tippet is still going to be the weakest link by a fair bit. "

Wrong call on the 20# backing! The internal of an 8wt line will usually be right at 25 to 30#'s so you need backing that's at least as heavy. You've got no bit deal if you hang up your leader, but you do have a very big deal if you hang up any part of your fly line.

Rip Tide 07-22-2013 01:50 PM

I bought a second hand but unused Medalist 1598 with an extra spool for $20
I think that you'll find quite a few of them around even though they're no longer made.
The SA System 2 reels aren't made any longer either but even still they're a little more pricy. My 10/11 was $100.

Don't confuse "cheap" with "inexpensive". "Cheap" is not going to hold up.

caberguy 07-22-2013 03:07 PM

Right, that's part of the "as cheap as possible to get the job done," obviously a piece of junk that won't work and doesn't have a decent drag won't get the job done.

caberguy 07-23-2013 08:25 PM

Well, I got a line. SA Mastery Skagit Extreme integrated 600gr, that'll get me going. Now I just need something to wrap it around.

caseywise 07-23-2013 08:46 PM

+1 on the 1598.
solid reels!
:D:D

casey