The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Cheap reel for my cheap Spey set-up

Looking for a reel to go with my $40 on sale Cabelas TLr 13' 8wt rod. Going to be used mostly on the Milwaukee and Root rivers during the fall run (for now anyway). I'm thinking of picking up either a Okuma SLV or Integrity 10/11... leaning towards the Integrity at the moment. I've got the SLV on my single handed 8wt and like it well enough (other than a slight paranoia that I'll lose the drag adjustment knob). Any compelling reason to choose one over the other? Anything else I should be considering... keeping in mind that I can get either of them for less then $50.

Also wondering if there's a really compelling reason to use #30 or #35 backing rather than the #20 that I have a bunch of. I figure even with #20 the tippet is still going to be the weakest link by a fair bit.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cheap reel for my cheap Spey set-up

Unless you are fishing for very large fish there is no reason not to use 20lb. backing. The heavier stuff has a larger diameter so it takes less to fill in the spool.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yeah, 20 lb. backing should be fine for your area.
as far as a cheap reel, whats your budget"
your gonna want something with some weight to it.
an old system 2 10/11 comes to mind

casey

ARFE
Old 07-22-2013, 11:01 AM

I guess my budget is pretty much as cheap as possible to get the job done at the moment. Since I pretty much bought the rod on a whim I don't want to spend too much to get it up and running. I'm also not in a particular hurry. I can get either of those Okumas for about $45... I'll watch ebay to see what comes up... System 2s, J.W. Youngs and maybe a few other things.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:27 PM

tex is on a distinguished road

Problem isn't the reel, its the spey line itself. $150 for the Rio Skagit setup with the MOW tips...ouch!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Problem isn't the reel, its the spey line itself. $150 for the Rio Skagit setup with the MOW tips...ouch!
Exactly.

"Also wondering if there's a really compelling reason to use #30 or #35 backing rather than the #20 that I have a bunch of. I figure even with #20 the tippet is still going to be the weakest link by a fair bit. "

Wrong call on the 20# backing! The internal of an 8wt line will usually be right at 25 to 30#'s so you need backing that's at least as heavy. You've got no bit deal if you hang up your leader, but you do have a very big deal if you hang up any part of your fly line.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a second hand but unused Medalist 1598 with an extra spool for $20
I think that you'll find quite a few of them around even though they're no longer made.
The SA System 2 reels aren't made any longer either but even still they're a little more pricy. My 10/11 was $100.

Don't confuse "cheap" with "inexpensive". "Cheap" is not going to hold up.
fredaevans and caseywise like this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 07-22-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM

Right, that's part of the "as cheap as possible to get the job done," obviously a piece of junk that won't work and doesn't have a decent drag won't get the job done.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:25 PM

Well, I got a line. SA Mastery Skagit Extreme integrated 600gr, that'll get me going. Now I just need something to wrap it around.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

+1 on the 1598.
solid reels!

casey

ARFE