The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By roguebum
  • 1 Post By thenewlushlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM

roguebum is on a distinguished road
Default Pacific Salmon on the fly

I just wanted to share my joy with you folks! Indulge me.

I went to my little spot on the Upper Rogue last night targeting Steelhead with a black and white fly that an old friend had tied for me last year. I had notice that with this fly, a few of the hookups that I had received were very different than what I expected to get with Steelies. Rather that fast and furious, they were strong and purposeful.

I had a hunch they could have been Salmon grabs. Last night I put that hunch to the test. The time came during the course of my evening when I experienced the strong, purposeful grab I had felt in the past. Rather than letting the fish set its own hook with the frantic "Steelie Sprint" that I have come to know and love, I set the hook myself with a strong pull.

After about 4 minutes of fighting, I was able to land a beautiful 22", 7lbs native Salmon hen!! My first Salmon on the fly!! I can honestly say that I almost cried with joy. I wanted to kiss that fish. Instead, I took the (barbless) hook out and revived her to her former glory. I wish I had pics, but no such luck. Only the movie in my mind.

She left as strong as she came. I think I left a little stronger

Awesome night!!
Hardyreels and ontheflyguide like this.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pacific Salmon on the fly

Thats Awesome!! Steelhead are mighty/beautiful fish that arre an absolute joy to catch and fish for. However, theres just something so special about catching a salmon in the top of the water column, fish that have been running since the last ice-age, its a glorious thing!
Congrats!
Hardyreels likes this.