The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM

w_boughner is on a distinguished road
Default Double taper on switch rod ?

Does any one use double taper on there switch rod ??? Just wondering how it turns over in a D loop and over hand false casting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 AM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Double taper on switch rod ?

I'll some experienced data for you in a few hours. I'll be trying one this afternoon.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak to the over head casting (actually I've never done it) but a DT works just fine on a switch rod. You can use a 'regular' one hander line, just 'up line' by two.

fae
Old 09-11-2013, 06:25 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Fred,

I'm assuming with a double taper line, you would only want to cast with the head pulled out to the body section of the line, and not all the way through the rear taper as in a typical Spey or Scandi style head.

Is this true?

Bum.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I've tried to work out a way to tell how much line you need beyond the rod tip to load the rod properly. So far my system works something like this.

1. Determine the weight of the line per foot of line. This needs to be done exclusive of the front taper.
2. Determine what the optimum grain window is for your rod.
3. Strip out this amount of line and determine a cast to aereolize it efficiently.
4. Use an appropriate cast get the line fishing.

The modern spey rod can handle some deviation from the norm. But generally I have my best success if the casts are going to be made all at about the same length.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM

Do you mark it with a sharpie or something so you know how much head to strip out for the cast?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:21 AM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road

I just tried a DT vs a WF on a switch rod for indicator drifting. They both cast about the same out to 30 feet. Past 30 feet, the DT cast better and was much better mending. This was roll casting, for overhand, the WF wins out.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 AM

w_boughner is on a distinguished road
Default Double taper on switch rod ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill1948 View Post
I just tried a DT vs a WF on a switch rod for indicator drifting. They both cast about the same out to 30 feet. Past 30 feet, the DT cast better and was much better mending. This was roll casting, for overhand, the WF wins out.
Thank you that's what u was wondering !!! My wf works great but some rivers I need a little more reach that i can still mend I don't think I want to go to shooting heads yet .. maybe in the spring when I can spend the summer practicing shooting the heads ... I don't want to be learning and loosing or spooking stealhead to in experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
Fred,

I'm assuming with a double taper line, you would only want to cast with the head pulled out to the body section of the line, and not all the way through the rear taper as in a typical Spey or Scandi style head.

Is this true?

Bum.
Sorry B, missed your post. With a DT you only want to pull out the amount of line you want/can cast. With a 'normal' spey cast you can shoot a bit of extra line, but not much. Again, I've never OH cast a 2hander but I suspect you could shoot more.

Actually thinking about this tread yesterday and the thought occurred to me is does anyone actually make a DT for a spey rod anymore? The first one (haven't cast same in years) I had to purchase out of the UK.

Fred

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill1948 View Post
Reason for the 'much better' is a DT line may be rated for the first 30 feet but the line gains weight as you pull more off the reel. Roughly an additional 12-15 feet will add a full line weight. A six becomes a seven sort of thing. Dead on with the line mending statement.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the reply Fred.