The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/)
-   -   New Memeber, TFO Deer Creek Value (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/331148-new-memeber-tfo-deer-creek-value.html)

aggie9 09-12-2013 04:05 PM

New Memeber, TFO Deer Creek Value

Hey guys new member with the urge to try my hand at steelhead fishing as well as the two handed game. I have been lurking here for quite awhile as well as reading numerous other articles across the internet. I was born and raised in Northern California and am finishing up a summer of work out here in beautiful Jackson Hole. I have never however gotten into steelhead fishing but want to give it a shot when I return to school out in California.

In my pursuit of looking for a rod I have come across a brand new 11' 6# Deer Creek for $220 out the door and was wondering how well this rod will perform for me in Northern California. I am planning on doing most of my fishing on the Lower American, Sac, and Yuba maybe heading up to the Trinity and other areas if I find the time.

I plan to use this rod for both swinging and indicator fishing. If my interest grows I will invest in maybe a true spey down the road. I was considering a 12'6 6 or 7 weight for the "true spey" but feel like this deal could be too good to pass up. So I guess my question for all you is will this rod be enough for the waters I am looking to fish?

Thanks in advanced for your advice!

mcnerney 09-12-2013 07:01 PM

Re: New Memeber, TFO Deer Creek Value

Welcome to the forum! I can't help with the steelhead rod, but I'm sure others will offer some solid advice.

Larry

duker 09-12-2013 07:53 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Deer Creek 13' 7/8, so take this accordingly. It was my first double handed rod and I found that it was a good intro to two-handed casting. It's well put together, and has a forgiving action that's good for beginners. Plus which the TFO lifetime warranty is rock solid--a friend of mine with a 13'6" 8/9 Deer Creek broke it casting, sent it back, and had a new rod within two weeks.

I have no experience with the switch rods so can't help you there. Some of the other much more experienced two-handers like Fred Evans or Ard can likely give you some feedback.

Scott

thenewlushlife 09-27-2013 12:10 PM

Yes that rod will be very well suited for the rivers your fishing and the size of the fish. The steelhead in those systems you mentioned don't get particularly large so the 6 weight is fine. In fact the trinity river calls for a 5 weight spey or switch during some seasons, so don't worry about being undergunned.

The TFO deer creek is a hard rod to beat at it's price point, and you got one for under $300 so thats a steal. The deer creek was designed and influenced by bob meiser (#1 most legendary spey rod builder in history), and Mike kinney I beleive, mike is one of the best spey fisherman in the world. Point is, the guys that developed that rod knew what they were doing, so don't worry about rod performance.

If I were you I would line that rod with an airflo scandi compact maybe in 390 or 400 grains, and a .30 rio powerflex or connectcore running line (the green one). The scandi compact is THE easiest line on the market to learn spey casting with. Given that its a scandinavian taper, it won't chuck big heavy flies and heavy sink tips such as t-14, but it will handle decent size streamers with sinking poly-leaders for your steelhead application. If you need to get deeper, later on you can get an airflo rage compact or skagit compact, but for now just focus on a scandi line.

If you want to indicator nymph, the easiest thing would be a switch line. I recommend the scandi compact first b/c its much better for spey casting. The switch line however, will allow you to overhand cast, high stick nymph and spey cast. Rio makes a good switch line, and so does wulff. The wulff switch line is called the wulff ambush, its a good line but is made more for heavy sink tips and big flies, so its not as easy to learn on. So I think for a good switch line, I would start with the standard rio switch line, not the switch chucker. The switch chucker is much like the wulff ambush so for now, best to go with the standard switch line.
Anyway, thats my 2 cents, let me know if you have any more questions regarding all things spey.
P.S. when it comes time to get a full blown spey, a 13 or 12'6" 7 weight might be the best choice. I use a 13'6" 7 weight myself, so when the time comes I can answer questions regarding rod length and the pros and cons.
-Lush

flyfishusa 09-27-2013 02:21 PM

That is one heck of a deal for that particular rod :) Here are the recommended lines for that particular rod from one of the designers Mike Kinney. Temple Fork Outfitters Deer Creek Spey Rods

BTW TFO has one of the best Warranties in the business, so if it is a new rod you are covered for life!