The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Backing for salmon fishing?

I am just about too get my first spey rod, 13' 7 or 8 wt (still need too try them its the scott or air flo and it takes a month to get them into NZ), there is no doubt that I will need a skagit head with long 9ips sink tips (for salmon, and sea run's).

What rating do I need for the backing is 20lb going too be enough (I will use some heavy tippet upto 30 lb in the large rivers), the guy in the store thinks it should do but he only fishes for trout in creeks (the last thing I want is too loose the line), and is 100 yards enough or should I be using more.

The rivers I will be fishing are 100-400 cumecs (cubic meters per second) flow (fast flowing, deep and wide) and salmon are normaly 10-30 lb chinnok

Thanks
Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 08-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backing for salmon fishing?

Chris: You will want to use heavier backing when going after salmon. You don't want the weakest point in your setup to be the backing, trust me on this I learned the hard way. Your weakest point should be the tippet. When I fished in AK I used 25 lb tippet and the backing was approx. 35 lb.

Larry
Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dittos to Larry,

I use 36 lb Cortland Saltwater Micron and never heavier than 25 lb on the leader. The trick is, don't let the fish into the backing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Chris,

I agree with Larry and Ard. As to how much backing you should use, it depends on the reel. If you have a big large arbor reel you want the backing and fly line to fill up the spool less some clearance. So it could be 100 yards but it could also be 200 yards or more depending on the reel capacity and the Spey line length.

Frank
Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Add me to the ditto's above. The interior line in a spey line will frequently be 20# test on lines rated 6 and down, 30# on lines 7 and up. So if it's a really light spey (obviously not given the intended use) 20 would be fine; but not in this case; use 30# if you want a 'regular' Dacron type backing material or something a tad higher if your reel will hold same.

Lastly, don't worry about putting 'gobs' of backing on your reel; 125-150 yards is plenty. Why? Well lets assume you're using a 10' leader, the typical spey line will be 120' long (some like the Carron's will go to 150) and the fish just gets 30 yards of backing off your reel.

Let's see now:
10'
120'
90'
----------
At that point the fish is 220'** off the reel; what do you think the chances are that you'll land same?

fae

** For comparison, 220' is tick short of three quarters of the length of a standard football field.

Edit: "..... and never heavier than 25 lb on the leader." My God Ard, you don't fool around do you!!!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have as much backing capacity as you wish for, you can always use a super braid type line for backing. I'm a big fan of Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid. In the 55 pound test rating, it is the same diameter as 12 pound test Dacron. It also lays down flat and is not abrasive like GSP fiber braids.

MP
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks all

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
Thanks all

Chris
Chris: Be sure to keep us posted on how your salmon fishing goes!

Larry
Old 08-02-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Chris: Be sure to keep us posted on how your salmon fishing goes!

Larry
The salmon runs start late january or the start of feburay
Ill post some pics and hopefuly my first salmon with a fly too

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
The salmon runs start late january or the start of feburay
Ill post some pics and hopefuly my first salmon with a fly too

Chris
EXCUSE ME????

We have to wait 5'ish months??? Ooooo, wrong answer.

fae