The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:27 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is Spey/Switch for me?

Honestly, when my wrist, shoulder, or arm is bothering me, I love to pic up the switch. I can keep the roof close to my body to cast and just relax.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Honestly, when my wrist, shoulder, or arm is bothering me, I love to pic up the switch. I can keep the rod close to my body to cast and just relax.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Sorry I havent been on in a while. School has gotten insane. Teachers are lazy and not teaching but they are happily handing out tests and quizes and I have no clue what is going on in half of my classes.

Anyways, I have been checking out switch rods and I really think it would be worth my time to at least get one and learn how to fish. It would really open up new waters and new sections of river to fish. I think I am going to hold off till this summer before I look at getting a rod. I think Ill start out with a trout sized rod. That way I can learn to fish and hopefully land fish to keep the frustration down. That way Im not trying to learn on steelhead and getting frustrated cause Im not cathching anything.

Also if I wait Ill be able to spend a little more and get quality gear that I will be happy with. If I dont end up upgrading my 5wt single hand rod before that.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:36 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

+1 to what Ard and others have said. I'll briefly share my experience.

I went to BC for my first steelheading trip four years ago thinking I could do just fine with my single-handed rod. I caught one steelhead on that trip, and marvelled at the fact that pretty much every other angler I saw on the river (Bulkley) was using a two hander. I also realized that there were a lot of runs that you simply could not fish with a single hander, or else fish with great difficulty, because there was no room for a back cast. I also realized that with a double hander your line is in the water a lot more, not in the air as you false cast. As we all know, rule #1 for fishing is "keep your line in the water".

The next year I returned with my single hander, but my buddy had picked up his first double hander. After struggling with lack of back casting space, and watching the amount of water my buddy could cover, I vowed to get a double hander and learn how to use it. Last year was really my first with a double hander; I honestly spent more time practice casting than actually fishing, but still managed to land one steelhead. That was a big thrill. This year I practiced during the summer, got better at casting, and landed four steelhead with the double hander on the Bulkley during our fishing trip in October.

All of which is to say, by all means, get a good quality double handed set-up that you can afford and that's suitable for the fish you're going after and the water you're fishing. You'll be frustrated at first learning to cast, but once you get the hang of it you'll be glad you picked it up. And once you land your first fish on a double hander you may never go back to a single hander.

Scott
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

I am still kicking tires on a spey/switch rod..

Just got back from Alaska, went up to work on a Sockeye boat in Bristol Bay. While I was up there a captain on a sister boat took me up and took me spey fishing. I didn't really get the casting down well but still caught a couple fish and had a blast.

Right now the biggest thing holding me back is that if for some reason I don't end up staying in the Idaho/Washing/Oregon area a 7-8 wt spey rod is pretty useless for me. Too big for trout and not really useful for reservoir bass fishing. Wondering if an 8 wt single hand rod would be better because it would have more uses for me BUT then it won't be ideal for steelhead and I don't know if I could cast it far enough to fish.

Might just have to stick to salmon/steelhead on the spinning rod but I just can't keep dreaming of flinging flies

Could a guy get a decent rod reel and line for $500? Noticed Orvis had some spey line on sale.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

Anglers Roost 7/8 spey rod and an old Medalist reel would set you back maybe $200.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2014, 10:36 PM

wait a minute, am I understanding switch/spey and a spey rods wrongly. I didn't quite understand how a switch/spey rod could be used to overhand fish. I didn't understand how it worked with the long butt handle.

Then I hopped on Anglers roost and noticed that they say "butt is not removable" So does a spey rod have a fixed butt and a switch rod you remove the long butt and use it like a single hand rod.

If so I would like to pick up a switch rod. Might be a lot more useful for me. Never casted a 12-13 foot single hand rod but it might not be too bad?

I do like the price point of the anglers roost rods and they seem to get decent reviews.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll try to set this right,

The switch rod being only 10'6" to 11'6" will be light enough to overhead cast just like a single hand rod. The bottom cork is not removable. You can do a 2 hand overhead cast with any Spey rod also up to a reasonable length. I do this even with my old Hardy with the big heavy Perfect on it without any undue effort.

I don't know how they got the name 'Switch' maybe because you can easily switch from overhead to a more traditional Spey cast with them. I have cast a few and like them.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-22-2014, 02:31 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
wait a minute, am I understanding switch/spey and a spey rods wrongly. I didn't quite understand how a switch/spey rod could be used to overhand fish. I didn't understand how it worked with the long butt handle.

Then I hopped on Anglers roost and noticed that they say "butt is not removable" So does a spey rod have a fixed butt and a switch rod you remove the long butt and use it like a single hand rod.

If so I would like to pick up a switch rod. Might be a lot more useful for me. Never casted a 12-13 foot single hand rod but it might not be too bad?

I do like the price point of the anglers roost rods and they seem to get decent reviews.
Well, you are in for a treat then. Now, please note that I am not a good caster so my casts will look terrible but at least the youtube video will show you how switch rod cast overhead and spey. The switch rods have shorter bottom hand, This Beulah Platinum 6wt 10'4" has 3.5" bottom and 10.5" upper cork. weights about 5.4oz.
I've casted various "switch" rods in 4wt, 5wt and 6wt but I like this one the most. It is shorter than the rest but it casts the line out regardless the lesser grain weight used.

Beulah Platinum 6wt 10'4" switch - YouTube
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by runningfish; 07-22-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
How is the back cast on brushy banks? This what I'm picturing it for, bass and snook fishing and casting casting off docks with boats and along wooded canal banks. Can I cast the rod without getting hung up on stuff behind me?
From personal experience you need 1.5 or 2.0 times the rod length of 'clear air.' Reason for that is the rod tip goes waaaay up when you make your 'D-Loop;' rod tip has to have some where to go.

That said you can stand in ankle deep water and effectively cast. Over the past 3 years my balance has gone to hell in a hand basket and wading even up to my knees, with a wading staff (which I always use), gets pretty hairy. But with a 2hander you don't need to wade deep; in the vast majority of cases there just isn't any point to it.

Original question was fish the Clearwater and Montana streams. Two totally different environments. With CW, a damned big river, you need a 8wt (Poppy may say a 9, he knows far better than I). With exception of a few larger Montana rivers (Clark Fork comes to mind) a 4 weight is plenty for trout on most streams. I use a 3wt spey (dieing to use my new 2/3!!) on the Bitterroot and its plenty for trout.

fae
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

For a switch rod that can handle steelhead you will not want to single hand cast it for more than a cast or two. Too much strain on the shoulder and elbow.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
fredaevans likes this.