The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 08:04 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Got my first swicth rod...

And the verdict is that I cannot spey cast very well...
But I was kind of expecting that, looking forward to learning another fly fishing skill!

I got a Reddington Dually 11' 5wt and a RIO switch line. So far I can roll all of the head out (55ft), but I am not getting any 'shoot' out of the process. I can do a half arsed double spey and Snap-T, but just not getting any real distance yet (still working on timing). I actually did a few "ok" snake rolls that took maybe 10 feet of running line.
Fun to be back at the beginning of the learning curve. So far this rod is very versatile for me, with great reach and mending ability. Already caught fish on a streamer, dry-dropper, and nymphing setup. One handed, this rod easily does a 40-50' roll.

Side note: The Dually does pretty well with an overhead double haul, was hitting 70-80 feet pretty easily, much better than my spey cast
The rod also high sticks pretty well. I caught a decent rainbow running a dry-dropper rig downstream. Mending with an 11' rod is nice. I might try czech nymphing with it soon at one of our "famous" tailwaters...
Old 11-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Got my first swicth rod...

Hi Tevis,

Go slow, learn your basics of the various casts before troubling your self with wanting to shoot a bunch of running line. When you think about it, if you can make a 55' cast with no back cast room needed you are already entering new waters.
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Like Ard said, slow down, way down. Check out Scott Howell skagit casting defined and simplified on YouTube. It is a great video for a basic skagit cast. I almost always use a snap t variant or single spey. Instead of having the full 55ft out, try casting with only 20-30 ft out and your leader/sink tip and shoot it. Once you figure it out you will be amazed at the distance and efficiency.

Chase
Hardyreels and tbblom like this.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:39 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

To continue on with this.............. Chase is sounding like a been there, done that guy huh?

When I started with a long rod it was a 13'. If you were to see videos of me fishing (there are none) you may say, 'What the heck cast is that' at any given time. My way of learning 2 hand casting wasn't to do what everyone else does or what all the videos demonstrate. I had been casting fly rods for over 40 years when I got a 2 hand rod so I figured out how to make the rod work best for me based on the places I fish with them.

In my view, as long as you don't crack flies off or hit the shore / trees behind you, and you do hit your target............ You are getting it done. It has taken 4 years for me to be able to hit 100 foot casts on demand. I use long belly lines and generally don't have to cast much past 70 feet to be into the fishing and often times not even that far. What I meant in the first post was to take your time getting to the distance stuff because even after years of fishing the 2 hand rods, long distance casting is not a relaxing thing.

The beauty of a 2 hand system is that you can fish effectively at or beyond the range that used to be 'work' for you with a single hand rod. No fuss, no frothing the water, just a nice relaxing way to fish large wet flies or skaters. Once you determine that you want more than 70 -80 foot casts on a regular basis, you are back at work.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
Looking forward to a bit more practice today.
The appeal of this style of casting is definitely the grace and ease at which the fly is delivered (or at least aiming for that kind of grace!)
Versus the aggressive 'chucking and yanking' involved in double hauling.
This site as usual is a great resource.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Got my first switch rod this spring. What made it "click" for me was not "slow down" it was "smooth". I would make the movements slow enough but I didn't tie them together in a smooth movement. I don't know if you can follow this but one handed casting can be more "jerky". 2 handed works better when its one continuous smooth movement. At least that was what made it work for me.

I really like my switch rod, I use it all the time now. I'm sure there are times when I'll go back to a single hander only because the type/place I'm fishing works best there. I still use "regular" casts with my 2 hander but only in places that they work better than a spey cast. Like I use a side arm cast to get under branches hanging down close to the water.

Keep at it. I find its a more relaxing way to fish.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Tevis,

Go slow, learn your basics of the various casts before troubling your self with wanting to shoot a bunch of running line. When you think about it, if you can make a 55' cast with no back cast room needed you are already entering new waters.
+1 what Ard said above.

'People' have this asinine idea that if they can't 'empty the reel' they're a 'bad caster.' HORSE FEATHERS! The rod/line is just a 'set of tools' to deliver the fly .... period. End of sentence.

For the majority of fishing situations 50 feet is more than enough. Are there places/situations where 'more is better?' Sure, but then what comes into play is the fish had better hook him/her self. Short of a 'savage take' (not likely) only way you'll know you have a visitor is the line going tight.

Hang up or hook up? Set the hook and find out. Problem is (and I don't care how good you are-well there are real exceptions to this!) you will have a lot of slack (bow if you will) in your fly line so the hook set has to go through all that before you make contact (solid) with the fly/fish.

Anyway, don't get hung up on long range casting. BUT, and a BIG BUT!! Get yourself a lesson with a good caster who can run you through your paces. "Worst to teach" are folks who are 'self taught' as you have to (repeating myself here) unwind the 'bad' to impart the good.

As has been said many times: Slow down your casting stroke, Newbies have a great tendency to try to 'kill the cast.' WRONG! Let the rod do the work, light hand on the cork/cast will get you all the results you want/need.

fae
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I also just got my first switch 2 weeks ago and just received the Rio Chucker today. The way I see it, switch rod is like playing the bass guitar. You play it by your heartbeat, smooth and flowing.
Hardyreels, fredaevans and tbblom like this.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:26 AM

The video mentioned above really helped.
I was dipping my rod tip on the sweep, and also ripping the anchor too fast (big dude trying to muscle it...). I was also pausing before the final throw as in a roll cast.

I had a couple of casts that surprised me when all went well, kind of a 'light bulb turning on' moment. Got a few better casts out yesterday. It's a fun rod to catch fish on for sure. I went to a lake loaded with 10-12" stocked trout so I could catch a few while practicing.

Also picked up some T-10 tip material to start playing with a heavier anchor.
I probably should have picked up the 'Switch Chucker' line instead of the regular 'Switch line', but I wanted to be able to mend well at distance and also cast dries, nymph rigs, etc.

when does the learning end? Hopefully never!
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have the switch line loaded on my 6110 and it is very good for indy nymphing and small flies. What it doesn't do well with are tips. You might try using poly leaders or Versileader and maybe cutting the tips down so they're smaller. Your mileage may vary. There's a really good discussion going on about the Rio's switch lines --Chucker and and switch. So good of a discussion, I happened to talk myself into picking some up.

Rio Switch Chucker Impressions

As for casting, I've had some instruction and read as much as I can on it and just like these guys mention, go slow and focus on getting comfortable with it. Personally, I stick with just a couple of casts that work and fish. Then again, where I'm fishing that's all I need and truthfully, I could likely do just as well with a 10foot single handed rod. The two handed rods are different and fun! I watched videos on the snake roll and double snake roll and when I attempted them, I wound up with nothing but a big mess Another reason that I just stick with a few basic casts that get me fishing.

Enjoy the new outfit!
Hardyreels likes this.