The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chi flyfisher
  • 1 Post By hollada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM

hollada is on a distinguished road
Default Switch rod for steelhead and smallies

Thinking about getting a new rod for michigan steel and lake st clair smallies. I'd like to get a switch rod, but don't want to be over powered. If I was getting a normal rod it would be an 8 wt. is a 6 wt switch equivalent in casting ability. I plan to throw indicators and eggs for steelhead and clousers and crayfish imitations for smallies.

Would also like to take to Montana when I go home to fish the missouri. Am I asking too much from one rod? My regular rods are 5 and 7 weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2014, 11:02 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool
Default Re: Switch rod for steelhead and smallies

4/5 should suffice

PM sent
I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach
Old 01-04-2014, 11:10 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, 4/5 should be enough and have better feel. 5/6 will give you more lifting power for bigger flies and the wind.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I'm also looking at a switch rod for steelhead in Michigan. I'm no expert, but I know enough to comment that I believe a 4/5 switch rod is too light for Michigan Steel, especially if you're talking about fishing Steelhead on the PM, White, Betsie, etc. If you're throwing hollow core lead rigs typical of MI Steelhead indicator set ups, you're going to want a beefier stick to throw that set up, stack your mends to run your long indie drifts, and land double digit steelhead. If you're fishing Lake Erie tribs, steelhead alley, that's different. In that circumstance, a 4/5 switch will get it done for you.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:16 PM

hollada is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback. Yes looking to throw indicator rigs on the Pere Marquette or big m. As well as big clousers on st clair in the wind. Sounds like a 4/5 is too light. 6/7 about right?
chi flyfisher likes this.