The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 09:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a better understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Hi Fred,

If I understand Spey casting, this part is currently questionable, I would likely use it for areas where there is no room for a back cast. Is this correct?

General 'Rule of the Thumb' is you need about 1.5 times the rod length of clear air space to form a 'real spey cast.' Most of that space is needed to keep you from whacking the rod tip (they don't like that!) and room to form the 'D' Loop.

The types of waters I fish most often are small creeks (tight quarters), small rivers that are perhaps 15-30 feet across with high banks or trees on both sides, medium size rivers from 30- 100' across.

With the above you'll need two rods (sorry about that ... ) For those small waters just use a single hander rod; there isn't a spey cast you can't do with same with a medium to fast action rod and 'regular' fly lines. Toss up in my mind if a weight forward or a double taper line is the better choice. As long as you've got enough space below the reel to get just two fingers on the butt of the rod, you've got enough to 'launch' a 30-40 foot cast. Trust me on that one, my Sage 10' 7wt XP sees this far more 'spey's' than a standard cast. In a nut shell, "The rod don't know, the rod don't care." If you want to get real 'sexy' have a rod builder pull off the butt cap off the rod and build you a short extension handle. 4 inches is all you'll need.

I will be doing some fishing, how much is yet to be determined, on large rivers. I hope to start bass fishing and catch the spring shad run. Both of these will be done on big open water.

For those bigger waters you will need a full on 2hander but you don't have to 'break the bank' to get a very good one (Echo/TFO come quickly to mind). Repeating myself, but 100' casts are for 'show not for doe.'

Most of my fishing is for trout. I also hope or have plans to fish for shad, steelhead and shad.

For trout/shad a 5 or 6 weight single hander 'spey cast' is all you'll probably ever need. If you want to go the 2hander route here you need a maximum of a 4 weight 11 to 12.5 foot long. And for that light a rod you're probably looking at 'big bucks' to buy one. There look at the R B Meizer or ACR (Gary Anderson) rods. Their very light 2handers are a total treat to cast. Trust me on this one (again ) their ultra light 2handers will blast out line. I can hit upwards of 90' from reel to fly with mine. ONLY THING to keep in mind with this type of rod is you hold the cork in your finger tips ... PERIOD. You can not force a cast; rods just will not go there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Major difference between Bob's rods and Gary's is Bob's have 'multi line' designations. Gary's have just one and a much tighter line 'grain range' for line choice.

Welcome to the 'Raid on your Wallet.'

Fred
Old 01-06-2014, 02:02 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Major difference between Bob's rods and Gary's is Bob's have 'multi line' designations. Gary's have just one and a much tighter line 'grain range' for line choice.

Welcome to the 'Raid on your Wallet.'

Fred
Hi Fred,

Thanks for all the info!!! I did go through the Spey Central section of the Rio website. It did answer my original question and give me a bit of a foundation.

In your first paragraph above (in your last post, not the quote), do you mean clear air space in front, to the side or behind the person casting?

So, I can spey cast with a regular rod? Would I want that rod to be some minimum length or weight? Is there an optimal length? I ask in part because I may buy another rod and want to be able to figure this into the equation. Also... Would a fighting butt be preferable for this rod?

Your response progressed to full on 2 hander from Echo/TFO to a big bucks Gary Anderson rod. I'm not sure I followed the progression of how you got there or what each rod was for - or if you were simply suggesting I get a second mortgage on my house? Can you elaborate?

Todd

--Irish Blessing
Old 01-06-2014, 03:46 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

I have a TFO TiCr 7wt rod with a fighting butt that single hand spey casts really well AND double hand spey casts really well when using the fighting butt as a lower handle. The key for me was finding the right lines.

For SHS casts and DHS casts with wet flies I use a Wulf Ambush 7wt line. For DHS casts with heavy streamers I have a homemade 16' Skagit head that weighs 310 grains. This will handle 7' T11 tips and 4" heavyish clousers really well.

This setup would be sweet on some of the tight small mouth creeks near where I grew up. I just need to visit when its not -5 degrees out.

Last edited by tyler_durden; 01-06-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Tyler,

I understand what you mean about the cold. It was 5 degrees when I got up this morning. I'm curios to know how long your 7 wt is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing
Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

It's just a standard 9'er.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4