The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By runningfish
  • 5 Post By roguebum
  • 3 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By runningfish
  • 1 Post By tyler_durden
  • 1 Post By tyler_durden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Casting with a switch rod....the "needed" casts

Hi !

Well, that's it ! I have a new switch rod (11'3 7 wt), a reel, and waiting for the line (switch chucker).

Now, I have to practice, and practice, and practice more ....

I've found some very good infos on the net, youtube, ect. about Double spey cast, roll cast and snap T.

Is there some other casts I MUST know to face every situations ? (River left, river right, wind up/ down, ect)

Thanks !
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Casting with a switch rod....the "needed" casts

The second part of this video is about the River left-right positioning.

ben664 likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 AM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

A Double Spey and a Snap "T" or "C" being cast standard and cack-handed should be all you need to know to get out on the river and fish river left or right with an upriver or downriver wind.

Both are "water-born" anchor casts which means your timing doesn't have to be perfect to get the line out there. I would really focus on those two to get fishing, then work on your single spey, snake roll, perry poke, etc.

The goal is to get fishing, then get better!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
A Double Spey and a Snap "T" or "C" being cast standard and cack-handed should be all you need to know to get out on the river and fish river left or right with an upriver or downriver wind.

Both are "water-born" anchor casts which means your timing doesn't have to be perfect to get the line out there. I would really focus on those two to get fishing, then work on your single spey, snake roll, perry poke, etc.

The goal is to get fishing, then get better!
RB's got it pretty well covered above so I'll just add one thing: SKIP the idea of using full on sink tips and 'Skagit Casting.' Most switch rods just don't have the 'moxie' to pull that 'sunk head' out of the water. Sinking poly leaders work just fine as, with the casts listed above, the cast is a 'touch and go.'

Fred
Hardyreels, fyshstykr and mcnerney like this.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:41 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I would limit myself to the Spey Versileader. I spoke to a fly line designer and he recommended me to stay away from MOW tips since they have very specific function.

btw, I have the ugliest Reverse Double Spey and luckily I've been using a home made bushy practice fly without a hook or else I would have stitches in my ears and in the back of the head. I am going to use my left hand for that cast since the left hand can cast better.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:08 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

Just another perspective: I'm able to easily Skagit cast 10' T14 sinktips on my 7/8 Beulah switch rod. I think the key is to use a short enough Skagit line. In my case the line is 17.5' long (head length). There are formulas out there that say something to the order of: head lenght + tip length should be less than 3x rod length. I think I heard this from the Skagit Master 1 dvd or website which is a great resource. I also have a couple single hand rods that I've added detachable lower handles to that skagit cast T11 tips very nicely using an even shorter and lighter skagit head. I find the short heads are a real asset on the smaller rivers and creeks near me.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm just butting in to say....................

Hi Tyler and Welcome to the forum. I hope you will consider to share your experience with our membership here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

Thanks Ard, I'm not an accomplished fisherman or caster by any means but it appears I have a lot in common with the other members of this forum so i'd like to share my hard won knowledge. I'm completely self taught so I hope the more experienced members here will point out when I'm doing something backasswards.

Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by tyler_durden; 01-10-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_durden View Post
Just another perspective: I'm able to easily Skagit cast 10' T14 sinktips on my 7/8 Beulah switch rod. I think the key is to use a short enough Skagit line. In my case the line is 17.5' long (head length). There are formulas out there that say something to the order of: head lenght + tip length should be less than 3x rod length. I think I heard this from the Skagit Master 1 dvd or website which is a great resource. I also have a couple single hand rods that I've added detachable lower handles to that skagit cast T11 tips very nicely using an even shorter and lighter skagit head. I find the short heads are a real asset on the smaller rivers and creeks near me.

Had to chuckle when I read your post Tyler (in a good way). With a Skagit head off that 7/8 you should be (easily) able to chuck 10' of T14. For context, 10' of T14 would be close to the same weight as a fifty cent coin.

No kidding.

Grams to Grains conversion