The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The rebellious switch rod

"......... bad either if I can just stick to the 180° and the single spey anchoring principle so I won't hit my running line or my rod with the fly."

If you find your fly is hitting your line or rod on the forward cast its a dead give away that you're rod is too 'straight up and down' as you come out of your 'D Loop.' Cant the rod tip over 5 to 10 degrees until the rod passes your ear. Then you can go a vertical position for the rest of the cast.

At that point the rod/fly/line is 'committed' to stay out its own way.
runningfish likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
"......... bad either if I can just stick to the 180° and the single spey anchoring principle so I won't hit my running line or my rod with the fly."

If you find your fly is hitting your line or rod on the forward cast its a dead give away that you're rod is too 'straight up and down' as you come out of your 'D Loop.' Cant the rod tip over 5 to 10 degrees until the rod passes your ear. Then you can go a vertical position for the rest of the cast.

At that point the rod/fly/line is 'committed' to stay out its own way.
Thanks for the tip Fred. That issue only happens when I do single spey but not with sustain anchor casts. I am the problem here.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Thanks for the tip Fred. That issue only happens when I do single spey but not with sustain anchor casts. I am the problem here.
Easy call here RF. There are two basic types of 'anchors' in spey casting. With Scandi/full on floater lines most (BUT NOT ALL!) anchors will be a 'touch and go' the other is a 'sustained/water load' anchor. Here you're usually talking about a 'Skagit' head and a full on sink tip. With a Scandi line you'll be using sinking poly leaders or a full floating leader (for a lack of a better term at the moment).

An example of 'not all' would be the Perry Poke. Aside here: Blow a 'touch and go' anchor cast ...... yes, we all do ..... come right back with a PP. And I do mean right now. No hesitation. 'Poke' will rip that busted cast right out of the water. Good cast in its own right, but pure magic with a 'Ah Nuts.'

As for what kind of rod action you want that will depend upon what line you'll want to toss. And there is a real difference in choice (manufacturer not withstanding); Skagit = a stiff tip. A Scandi/full dry you'll want more 'flex.'

Just personal observations.

fae
Old 01-20-2014, 03:00 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

That is a pretty illustrative description Fred.

I never cast a Skagit line before, when I decided to pick up the switch rod I already knew that I wanted to do Scandi with poly leaders. We can bring this discussion to my own switch rod thread as I don't want to hijack this thread.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's important to differentiate between skagit/sustained anchor casting and traditional spey casting.
If you're going to be using a skagit head on the switch there are aspects to traditional spey techniques that will hinder you if you try to apply them to sustained anchor casting.

If you are going to be throwing a Skagit head I would highly recommend Skagitmaster 1.
Ed Ward knows his stuff and has put a lot of thought into how to teach his techniques. Plus he just seems like a cool all around guy.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM

bluemoon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Easy call here RF. There are two basic types of 'anchors' in spey casting. With Scandi/full on floater lines most (BUT NOT ALL!) anchors will be a 'touch and go' the other is a 'sustained/water load' anchor. Here you're usually talking about a 'Skagit' head and a full on sink tip. With a Scandi line you'll be using sinking poly leaders or a full floating leader (for a lack of a better term at the moment).

An example of 'not all' would be the Perry Poke. Aside here: Blow a 'touch and go' anchor cast ...... yes, we all do ..... come right back with a PP. And I do mean right now. No hesitation. 'Poke' will rip that busted cast right out of the water. Good cast in its own right, but pure magic with a 'Ah Nuts.'

As for what kind of rod action you want that will depend upon what line you'll want to toss. And there is a real difference in choice (manufacturer not withstanding); Skagit = a stiff tip. A Scandi/full dry you'll want more 'flex.'

Just personal observations.

fae

What?????? I am doing it all wrong. I use soft rods for Skagit and stiffer rods for Scandi.

Troy