The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 AM

jabrowning24 will become famous soon enoughjabrowning24 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Blasted the line but something is still missing

Something you mentioned too that I wanted to touch on is comparing your rods, im not sure about the zenith but from what I remember (been a long time) the classic is a bit slower rod. I had the same issue comparing my echo solo (slow and soft) to my scott l2h. I could get close to the same distance but hell I had to work with that stupid echo, the scott could toss it the same distance while I was napping! Every rod is very very different.... I think the best advice here is what fred said, you are getting a lot of distance out of a short light rod, if you want more go bigger!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:32 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I completely have forgotten about this thread that I started until a member chipped in this morning.

I since then bought a custom rod and line and sold the Beulah Classic. The custom rod and the new line cast the same distance as the Beulah but with way more feel and sensitivity even with the old custom line which was cut for the Beulah. I have found what I've been looking for, the feel, sensitivity and the lift that I couldn't have with the Beulah. I am not so worry about the distance, who fish for trout at 80ft away anyway?

Don't get me wrong the Beulah Classic is a sweet sweet switch rod, and it was difficult to let it go. I couldn't live up to the rod's expectation. I put it up on Ebay just to see if someone would be watching it, but I had a bid in just 10 minutes.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Always good to see a problem solved
runningfish likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Ard, we have another problem. I can't seem to put it down and just bought a line with 57 grain below it's lowest grain window.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 PM

A little bit of an update.

I received my first ever Royal Wulff Ambush 7wt 266 grain today to try with my custom rod with 325-425 grain window.

The rod casts beautifully with the line that came with it 368gn, 348gn for the Beulah, 330gn Rio Outbound for the Zenith 8wt.

To my surprise the rod can cast the Ambush 266gn with 10ft polyleader 2.6 ips nicely even on the grass. The rod is now asking for a better timing, casting more from the tip and demanding less power. I think the rod will be less demanding if I test it in the water as the thick but lighter Ambush head will create enough water resistance for the rod to bend a bit more. The Ambush also the best overhead line for this rod, but I won't make it habit casting it overhead.

Honestly, I was ready to get a 4wt Prospector or Sage One 4wt if the custom rod couldn't handle <300 grain but Steve Godshall is a monster and he made me an all you can eat line buffet rod. Now I can't wait to practice with the Ambush in the lake in 3 weeks time.

Can I borrow a 6wt ambush line, I promise to return it.