The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 10:23 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Underhand cast and Traditional cast

Randy, I have watched that video and another one by Henrik.

I think your tip on using the upper hand as a break and CB's tip snapping it on the forward stroke could be the answer.

So far, I am only using the top hand just to position the rod to the back and let the bottom hand does all the forward casting movement. I'll make the upper wrist a bit snappy and see how t goes.

Cb. I'll try to see my shadow the next time I go practice. I usually practice in the morning and the sun would perfectly hit my left side and as a right handed caster I can turn my head to my right side and can see my rod position perfectly. thanks again for the tips.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

The 'brake system' - mentioned by Randy - at the end of the cast is a very good idea - apply top and bottom equally - then release and drift if you like after that - it doesn't matter then - the line has gone! Here is a great video showing the combination of 90 degree rotation and wrist snap. This is fundamental to all double handed casting.

Cheers

Colin
Old 02-17-2014, 12:11 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Colin eh?
I used to know an English guy who lives in Cambridge by that first name. I believe his last name is Bates. Going to name my future son as Colin also if I ever going to have one.

anyway, back to fishing.

That video really shows the 90° rod angle. I think currently mine's look like a slice of pizza using the under hand. and about 67.5° using the top hand cast (1 o'clock back cast and 10 o'clock release).

Two more weeks 'til the practice day. Can't wait.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

For me, the reason I apply most of my power with the bottom hand (when executing a underhand cast) is to use my top hand as a brake.

Other than that, I don't see why more power should be applied with the bottom hand, though many will argue otherwise. I've read many of those arguments and they still don't make sense to me.

If I want to lengthen the length of my forward casting stroke, I increase my hip rotation and therefore increase the length of my loading move.

I struggled for a long time with underhand casting because, being a traditional fly caster who devoted so much time to trying to cast longer and longer distances, I kept moving my top arm way too far away from my body during the forward cast.

Also, underhand casting is touch-and-go casting. I try to begin my forward cast loading move just before my anchor touches down. If the anchor gets stuck on the water it will take too much power to lift it off, and it will then be impossible to make a long cast.

In terms of the angle of the spey rod at the end of the back swing: FOR ME that depends on how high I execute my lift. If I'm standing in waist-deep water I'm going to make a higher lift than if I'm standing in ankle-deep water.

Also, also, because a longer rod lifts more line off the water, the longer the spey rod - assuming I'm using the same short-head line - the lower I execute my lift, and therefore the lower the angle of the spey rod at the end of the back swing. (I try to keep the rod at the same angle to the water during the swing.)

Finally, to add some energy to my D-loop I execute my back swing a little faster. To do this without blowing my anchor, I again execute a lower lift.

My two cents, only.

Take what you like and leave the rest,

Randy
runningfish likes this.

Last edited by randyflycaster; 02-17-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Good stuff here! Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Randy, me being new to fly fishing and not really devoted or stuck in a certain style of castings means I get to reset and relearn new technique. The blow to blow explanation is easy to follow and I'll see if I can put them into practice.

I'll eventually find my own way to do things "right" but until then I'll keep on asking for help.