The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 AM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough
Default General purpose spey

How does spey crossover into saltwater? I want to get into saltwater fly but spey casting just looks so neat. I am in CT so will be fishing mostly for stripers, but would like to go up state NY in the season for steelhead etc. What properties should a decent rid have in terms of where it flexes and how much?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General purpose spey

Saltwater Spey casting is something that I don't do, but I know a few guys who chase Striped Bass off the California coast. They use 8 or 9 weight rods with heavy shooting heads (550 grains or more). They cast overhand style. If I recall correctly, the preferred rods have a tip flex.

As for costs, Spey rods can start under $400.

MP
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Overhand happens a lot when surf fishing. I have taken a 13' 8wt to Resurrection Bay and fished the surf three times. With the right coastal drift you can actually swing flies and catch fish. (I hate stripping a bunch before a recast) The best method for getting the fly out there is the two hand overhand cast. Like MP said an 8 or 9 weight should be fine 13 or 14 feet will be a good choice.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-04-2010, 01:57 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

So it is a viable option. Any reason it would me more inpractical than single handed.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgamble View Post
So it is a viable option. Any reason it would me more inpractical than single handed.
Can't think of any reason not to use it for surf fishing.

For freshwater fishing, a Spey rod is not the right tool for fishing in close. It is possible to flick a few casts in close, but the splash of the heavy line will spook fish.

MP
Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 PM

I kinda figured spey fishing was intended for big rivers where you need to make big casts to get to fish?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily Josh,

I have already caught more fish than I can quote a number for and none were farther than 60 feet away. I have been fishing streamers and wet flies for a long time and the longer rod proved to be the perfect tool for easier and better presentation and control of the flies. I have already written a great deal about what I think is a misconception about two hand rod fishing and have adopted the use of the big rod into a most effective method for catching fish. I plan (when the time comes) to use these rods for fishing in the lower 48 at such time that we move there. I could rattle off the names of many rivers and streams where the rod will be very effective. Just like a single hand rod casting with a two hander is not all about how far you can cast but more about what the result of your casting is.

Ard

Old 08-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Aaaaaargh...my head hurts with confusion. Its true, the more I learn the less I know.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Administrator

This is a problem with fly fishing gear and especially with Spey casting. Do not get confused by too much jargon, find someone who can help you and don't stress over these things.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:07 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Rio has an Outbound line designed for overhead spey casting. I would think you could also use a traditional fly line, or a scandi line.

It's very difficult to set up an anchor on a windy surf.

Randy