The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cb
  • 1 Post By ontheflyguide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 05:53 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Switch rod cast for indicator fishing ?

Hi,

For tube and streamer casting with switch rod, no problems. Snap T, double spey, ect...

How do you cast with switch rod (and switch line) for nymph indi. fishing ? Spey, double spey ? Any video on youtube or Vimeo ?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice
Default Re: Switch rod cast for indicator fishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Hi,

For tube and streamer casting with switch rod, no problems. Snap T, double spey, ect...

How do you cast with switch rod (and switch line) for nymph indi. fishing ? Spey, double spey ? Any video on youtube or Vimeo ?

Thanks
I apologise but I dont really understand the question? (but I'll answer anyway! )

You can Spey cast in almost any type of fishing – I never use anything else on a river and I’ve even usefully Spey cast from the shore of a lake in a gale and almost always use from a drifting boat. The type of Spey cast used depends on wind direction and then degree of acceptable disturbance on the water. If you want least water disturbance then you should use ‘airborne’ Spey casts such as Single Spey (upstream wind or still) or Snake Roll (downstream wind or still). The Switch or jump-roll cast has very little use in real fishing situations – well that’s my experience anyway – but good for practising to get a feel for the two handed casts and loops.

I hope this helps.

Colin
fredaevans and ben664 like this.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:24 AM

throwit is on a distinguished road

Use the same casts as you would for swinging flies. I just slow things down and keep it smooth. With an indie rig there is a lot of stuff to tangle. Think smooth big open loops not tight little flicks.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

On the very rare occasion I've used an indicator, save for just a bit of fluff, I've found with 'large ones, I tie a 6" bit of leader at the end of the fly line and attach the 'indie' to that. Works quite well in my limited experience.

fae
Old 05-01-2014, 11:26 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

toss out all the spey casts, at least the set up part. let the water load your rod and either toss your presentation upstream or do a open loop roll cast.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:20 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Thanks for the answers guys, I was not around lately
Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Roll Cast, just like the single handers do.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:19 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Roll-cast, and waterload (Your strongest cast)....for most stuff. 40-60' is about right.
But, I do use my snap-T quite a bit with a bobber.
Didn't happen first try though......
Can even pull it off on my short rods these days.
Both dry fly, and bobber.....
Great for brushy/treed banks.

Jim