The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 04:15 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recommend Spey DVDs and books

Quote:
Originally Posted by qacwac View Post
Boomslang, I was planning on using the 11' to see if I liked two-handed casting and if so, building a full spey rod. Maybe I better start looking for a 13' kit to build.
I would highly encourage you to start with a 13' rod. Help from an instructor could go a long way too.

sorry to be blunt...but, you can not figure out if you like driving by starting with a garbage truck. you need an more generic tool. Like a toyota Camry or a Honda accord. keep your switch rod for nymphing, or for later when you figure out the timing issue with a double handed rod.

if you develop a poor casting dynamics at the very beginning and keep doing it over and over again. It is very difficult to get rid of it. what I have found out that my old muscles can not change what they have memorized already......
lake flyer likes this.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:29 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

I learned using a 10.5' switch rod and didn't have too many issues. But who knows, maybe if I started with a 12.5' rod things would have progressed quicker.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 05:44 PM

qacwac will become famous soon enough

I talked to Lee (the THCI guy) yesterday and while he doesn't have any classes planned right now, if one comes up he'll let me know. He was really helpful though in talking about what line for my rod. He said to come on over and we could try out a couple to make sure I get the right weight (my switch rod kit was sold as a 5 weight, but using the CCS it came out right at a 6 weight, medium fast for me, and someone else who bought one told me his came out as a 7). He said we could go over some casts as well to get me started. Poor casting habits is definitely not something I want to add to the number of bad ones I have already.

And now that I have 50 posts (Yay!), I'm going to try and sell some stuff to fund a 13-14 footer.

Last edited by qacwac; 05-07-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
Help from an instructor could go a long way too.
I wholeheartedly agree that a Spey Casting Instructor is the way to go. My personal favorite will be in your neighborhood in August. I've spent a few hours working with Dec and will attest that he is a top notch instructor with endless patience, and just an all around great guy.

You would be wise to take advantage of this opportunity, call and reserve your spot now because Dec's classes usually fill very quickly.
Fishing Events | World Cast AnglersWorld Cast Anglers

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-08-2014, 06:15 PM

qacwac will become famous soon enough

Thanks, fyshstykr. I saw that when researching an instructor and was thinking about going. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:40 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
I would highly encourage you to start with a 13' rod. Help from an instructor could go a long way too.
Though, I agree that a 13' (7wt) spey rod would be the best way to start casting, I don't think I would analogize the difference quite so disparagingly. I have taught a number of people to spey cast effectively while using 11'-6" switch rods.

The main differences I've found between casting with a spey rod and casting with a switch rod is that with a switch rod, the caster needs to shorten their head a bit, minimize their movement and be more gentle with their anchor. The movements aren't quite so large and sweeping so "conservation" is a key element.

As far as vids go... Rio's Modern Spey Casting is a great DVD that I frequently watch for those "refreshers". The Kinematics is a little useless in my book, but it was a good thought. Dec Hogan's Modern Spey Casting and More is a nice (short) video that more covers swing style fishing than it does casting... when to cast, when to step, when to retrace your steps and cast again. Not bad.

I say, well done with the new rod & I hope it casts like a dream! Just remember to SLOW DOWN on your casts. It's not a race in spey casting. Start with waterborne anchors (Snap T, Double Spey) and go from there.

You'll kill it!!
runningfish likes this.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I watched a couple of Ed Ward's instructional videos and really liked the way he explained everything.

Regarding the length of the rod for beginners (including me) just use what you have built and master it. I've cast numerous 2 handed rods from 10'5" to 11'6" since I like to experiment, but I will not derail from shorter switch rods and getting a full spey rod just to learn how to spey. I am getting a 10'4" and will use it for everything.

+3 on what roguebum said...slooooooooow dowwwwwn.
roguebum likes this.

Last edited by runningfish; 07-11-2014 at 04:13 PM.