The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 PM

qacwac will become famous soon enough
Default Recommend Spey DVDs and books

Hey everybody. Just finishing up my 11' Switch rod and about to start learning how to actually use the thing.

Besides the 100's of youtube videos, I'm looking at getting Simon Gawesworth's "Spey Casting" (bummed I missed the free kindle edition on Amazon a while back), Al Buhr's "Two-Handed Fly Casting: Spey Casting Techniques" and Rio's "Modern Spey Casting Techniques" DVDs.

First question, are these what you would recommend I start with?

And second question, just because you guys might be the only ones who actually would, anyone have any of these they want to get rid of or for loan?

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Recommend Spey DVDs and books

I have Al Buhr's book and will make you a great deal of it. I am busy tomorrow but will get an envelope large enough for it and let you know how much to mail it. Send me your address via PM and I'll get it around.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-06-2014, 07:14 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I would go with Simon's book. As for DVDs, I bit the bullet and bought Rio's Modern Spey Casting.

It's worth the money.

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 05-07-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

I have several and Ed Ward's 'Skagit Master vol. 1' dvd helped my casting the most. He went into far more detail than any other resource imo.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

Anything from Dec Hogan and John Hazel is great. if you are going with skagit casting, there is not much to it. learn some basic casts. From both side of the river and both wind direction (upstream and downstream). they way they are building their skagit systems these days, they virtually cast themselves. Lot of weight up front with fat front taper and very very short head. Basically a chuck and duck approach.

Also, I often advise beginners against learning to spey cast with a switch rod. Switch rods are specialized tools. To get a good cast out, you need to have a pretty precise timing and casting dynamics. Of course, you can chuck a ton of junk out there with lot of power, but, that is a pretty clumsy approach. and, in my book misses the point of what spey/double handed casting is about.

if you want to learn some finer points of double handed casting, get a longer rod 13'+ and try touch and go casts and true spay style casts from the british isles. much smoother, elegant, and everything double handed casting should be.

anyway, this is my opinion......what do I know.
fyshstykr and schooner36 like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Seth: Send me your address via PM and I will send you a couple DVD's on Spey Casting that you can borrow. The first one is by Jeff Putnam titled "Single-Handed Fly Rod Casting Using Spey Casting Techniques" and the second on is by Mel Krieger titled "The Essence of Flycasting II & The Essence of Spey Casting".

Old 05-06-2014, 05:57 PM

qacwac will become famous soon enough

Thanks Ard and Larry. That should keep me busy while I save up for the other stuff.

Randy, it's in the cart just waiting for funds (or for me to quit buying stuff off the classifieds).

Tyler Durden (great name by the way), likewise, it's in the cart waiting for funds.

Boomslang, I was planning on using the 11' to see if I liked two-handed casting and if so, building a full spey rod. Maybe I better start looking for a 13' kit to build.

I also found Lee Davison at Snake River Outfitters over the pass in Rigby, Idaho who is a Certified Master and Two Hand Casting Instructor who I may try and take a class from. Anyone taken a class by him?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qacwac View Post
I also found Lee Davison at Snake River Outfitters over the pass in Rigby, Idaho who is a Certified Master and Two Hand Casting Instructor who I may try and take a class from. Anyone taken a class by him?
Seth: Send a pm to Kelly (kglissmeyer1) he lives in Rigby if I recall correctly and probably knows Lee personally.

Larry

Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Boomslang and will recommend anything by Dec Hogan.
His DVD 'Modern Spey casting and more' and also his book 'Passion for Steelhead' which does give very good illustrations of the different cast we use, and also indepth information on the "how, what, and why" of actual fishing situations.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I guess the problem I had was that I read so many articles, watched so many videos, and still I struggled, as so many casting faults and problems just weren't covered in the articles and videos.

In the end I had to experiment on my own.

Having said that, the one DVD I wished I had bought sooner is the Rio one.

Randy