The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2016, 02:53 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fighting & Landing Big Fish;

Not to side track this wonderful thread, but I didn't know the AK Kings were in such decline. So sad, I hope to one day land a beast on the spey rod up there.

I feel the same way about our wild steelhead and native brook trout. Can't kill them anymore. There are other good fish to eat.

I'll post more here tonight, and have a few questions.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

Hi Steve,

The second shoe hasn't dropped yet but it's safe to say things aren't what they once were numbers wise. The king salmon to the best of my knowledge of the species has never enjoyed the proliferation in numbers as any of the other 4 Pacific salmon. This is due in part to their size and requirements for reproduction. In a nutshell, a pair of kings being a 35 pound hen and a fifty pound male take up a lot of space in a headwater area. This fish also has specific needs when it comes to the bottom substrate size of the river or creek channel. Today there are many things both known and unknown which are inhibiting the run numbers and harvest of escapement adults is one of the factors involved in the decline.

I won't ever kill another and even when sockeye or silver fishing for harvest I release every hen.
mcnerney and unknownflyman like this.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-26-2016, 08:47 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future

I Re read your excellent article, Ard and I can see where I'm screwing up and losing big fish. Striking too fast, lifting rod high, on jumping and rolling fish, my rod is at the wrong angle, I've been fishing the Spey rod like a big single hander and striking like I'm drifting even when I've given the fish some time.

Since in talking to some fellow Spey fishers all said to not lift the rod at all and lower the rod when the fish catches air.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:55 AM

ddb is on a distinguished road

Excellent advice.

Working, unfortunately. on way less experience with the big ones, I would pass on one tip that has helped me greatly when so engaged.

Do not let a big one rest. During a prolonged fight they will try to, in effect, sit down. Nagging them out of this rest spot with firm but gentle side pressure keeps them off balance and evens angers them into another energy expanding run. (Using the stength in the mid section of the rod rather than the relying mainly on the butt gives me all the nagging power I need.) My landed to lost ratio changed greatly in my favor after I was coached in this approach.

I also tend to believe big fish landed in shorter fights tend to survive better than those who deeply expend all their energy over a prolonged fight.

Tight lines,
DDB