The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM

supersenior is on a distinguished road
Default New Spey Rod, etc., Help

I've just acquired a 12'6",6 weight,TFO Lefty Kreh "Professional Series" spey rod from a friend.
Also included was a Rio Spey Line ST5/6F 340 gr line, head 33ft, NIB.
Now I'm looking for a running line of some type but find it rather confusing regarding the selection; mono, braided or vinyl coated.
Next,what would you recommend for a basic entry level spey/fly reel for the above?
It will be used for our Fall/Spring Steelhead run (6-10 lbs).
I'm trying to keep the cost down in case I don't find it appealing and just stick with my single handed fly rods.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Spey Rod, etc., Help

First off, Welcome to the best forum on the net. (for fly fishing anyway). Always happy to see new faces in the crowd.

Fairly new to the Twohander/Spey rod myself, it's a lot of fun. Just realize it's a whole new ball game learning to cast it, once you get the bugs worked out you'll be amazed at the amount of water you can easily cover.

I purchased one of these through our forum shop (as have many others) and believe it to be a very sweet reel, at the price point you will be hard pressed to find much better. Plus you get a forum discount to boot.

Good luck and have fun with your new toy.
Allen Fly Fishing, Alpha Series Fly Reel

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 11-18-2010, 08:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersenior View Post
I've just acquired a 12'6",6 weight,TFO Lefty Kreh "Professional Series" spey rod from a friend.
Now I'm looking for a running line of some type but find it rather confusing regarding the selection; mono, braided or vinyl coated.
Make life easy for yourself. Just get the Rio Powerflex Shooting line in the .030 inch size. It is looped on the business end to connect the shooting head.

Don't forget that you will need some 15 foot Rio Versileaders up front. They range from floating to ultra fast sinking densities. A floating Versileader will get you started until you want to start playing the depth game.

Quote:
Next,what would you recommend for a basic entry level spey/fly reel for the above?
I won't comment on the Allen reels, but many seem to like them.

You will need to get a reel that holds roughly 100 yards of 20 pound backing, the shooting line, head, and Versileader. You need to have a reel that has the capacity equivalence of a 9 weight single handed reel.

As for price pointed reels, the Lamson Konic 3.5 or the Redington Rise 9/10 should have the capacity. If you are a little short on capacity, you could always have 20 feet of the shooting line cut off.

MP
Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 PM

supersenior is on a distinguished road

Thank-you, Gentlemen, much appreciated.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent answers above, but I'd toss in just a couple of thoughts. One would be a Ross CLA 6 for a reel and use 30# backing rather than the lighter 20#.

The reason for the heavier backing line is to take into consideration the 'interior test' of what it's connected to (shooting line/fly line/shooting head. As for how much backing? 125 to 150 yards is plenty (only more if you need to fill up the reel).

125-150 yards doesn't sound like much, but considering a typical fly line is (even using a separate shooting line) about 120' (plus leader) if a fish gets all of that out and only 50 yards of backing ... Mr. Fish is close to 300 feet away from you (length of a football field if you will). Unless you've got a hell of a beach to run on, or a boat to jump into for the chase ... you're 'toast.'
Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

With a 12'6" rod I'd go with a 10-foot versi leader, then attach monofilament. As a general rule, if you're casting lighter flies your leader - including your versi leader - should be about 1 1/2 X the length of your spey rod.

You'll have to experiment a bit to see what length works for you. If you keep blowing your anchors, or if your anchor keeps landing too far behind you, you might have to increase the length of your leader.

For running line I'd go with a low-memory one like Rio's. I wouldn't use mono, however.

This spring Salmon, Trout and Steelheader will run an article about getting started with Spey Casting.

Randy
Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike a single hand rod, balance does really matter in spey rods. the reel need to balance the rod when the line is out swinging, and you are holding it where your top hand goes. Between the longer length of the lines, bigger diameter and longer heads, you need a bigger reel as it is. But then getting it to balance requires an even bigger reel. You can cheat by starting off the backing with lead core, or placing lead tape on the spindle of the reel. Before you go buy a reel, calculate the mount of weight you are going to need it to balance. Trust me, if you plan to fish for any length of time, this is important.

One last thing, I started spey fishing and it's my single hand rods gathering dust.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:58 AM

sjs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Next,what would you recommend for a basic entry level spey/fly reel for the above
I'm trying to keep the cost down in case I don't find it appealing and just stick with my single handed fly rods.
I would give you 2 options
1) castle arms prestige 9/10 Large arbor, *BAR STOCK*,type 3 anodized for about $125. I think the fly shop in redding ca has them. Dont let people try to sell you on a non barstock reel just because of the fancy brand name.
2) if you want to go cheap, Tica has BARCAST for about $50. I would be sure it would handle fish up to 20 inches. If you are going to alaska, go for #1
2b) from troutlet.com okuma cascade 7/8/9 NOT barstock, $27

These reels are NOT SOLD at fly shops, so some of the people here who hawk name brand reels that sell for a extra $200 because of the name will not recomend these.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:14 PM

sjs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It will be used for our Fall/Spring Steelhead run (6-10 lbs).
How much did you pay for it?

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

PS: If you can get a Allen in the appropriate weight for $60- $80 I would go with that above the others.