The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Kayak/SUP Discussion

Kayak/SUP Discussion Discuss the use of kayaks and SUP's for fly fishing

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 07:24 AM

jettman96 is a jewel in the roughjettman96 is a jewel in the roughjettman96 is a jewel in the rough
Default Show off your kayak

I've seen quite a few forum members mention that they fly fish from their kayak. So, i figured we could share some pics and info about our kayaks.

Personally, I paddle a Native Ultimate FX12 (Lime Green... you CAN'T miss it)

I love the seat and the fairly unobstructed floor for stripping line and it's super stable (although I'm a bit top heavy for standing up in it).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Show off your kayak

I've been fishing out of a kayak for a good long time now. 20 years?
Probably the single best fishing related purchase that I ever made

Old 02-12-2016, 09:30 AM

dakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to behold

My ride is a Native Slayer, which I thoroughly enjoy. Like your Native Ultimate, it has a flat open floor which is great for fly fishing.

Ard, mcnerney, fr8dog and 3 others like this.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 PM

goat trail is a jewel in the roughgoat trail is a jewel in the roughgoat trail is a jewel in the roughgoat trail is a jewel in the rough

My 'yak is nothing fancy but it gets the job done! As Riptide said, this is probably the best fishing related purchase I've ever made.
And not just for fishin! We used to paddle to good cliffs, toss a line with a weight down to make sure of a good depth, climb up, and jump down!

My pics of the yak aren't the greatest but it's a very basic model. Not the most comfortable, pretty beat up, but the fish don't mind
Ard, mcnerney, dakotakid and 3 others like this.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jettman96: Great idea for a thread, I'm loving all these great looking yaks!

Old 02-13-2016, 12:56 PM

fenix84 is a jewel in the roughfenix84 is a jewel in the roughfenix84 is a jewel in the roughfenix84 is a jewel in the rough

Cool pics everyone, Kayaks are cool but I never feel safe inside. For some reason I cant fish sitting down.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix84 View Post
Kayaks are cool but I never feel safe inside. For some reason I cant fish sitting down
Never once have I been in my kayak without wearing my PFD
But I mostly use it for fishing the salt and I've been out in swells in the open ocean that were over my head.
While I can't say that was relaxing, there was nothing to panic about either.
You bob like a cork.

As for fishing while seated. It gets easier with a little practice.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:49 PM

dakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix84 View Post
Cool pics everyone, Kayaks are cool but I never feel safe inside. For some reason I cant fish sitting down.
Agree 100% with Rip Tide. Safety isn't an issue if you use a SOT (sit-on-top) kayak and always wear a life vest. The SOT kayaks bob like a cork and can't be sunk.

I also found it a bit more difficult to fly fish out of a kayak. For one thing, you have to be even more conscious of line management. In other words, the area you are stripping line into has to be clear. So open, flat-bottom kayaks are a plus, while pedal propulsion systems are a problem.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:44 PM

acorad is a glorious beacon of lightacorad is a glorious beacon of lightacorad is a glorious beacon of lightacorad is a glorious beacon of lightacorad is a glorious beacon of lightacorad is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 11' Hobie Revolution with the pedal drive. The pedals don't interfere at all with my line. However the pedal drive does allow me to easily hold position in the wind and current and fish at the same time.

Andy
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:35 PM

dragon11 has a spectacular aura aboutdragon11 has a spectacular aura about

We bought our kayaks right when winter started.

This is the family on them in our garage, minus our second dog:

Another view of the Nucanoe Frontier 12, on the right:

We can't wait until spring. My wife already likes to fish, but with the new kayaks, my daughter is excited about it also.
Ard, mcnerney, fr8dog and 3 others like this.