The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Kayak/SUP Discussion

Kayak/SUP Discussion Discuss the use of kayaks and SUP's for fly fishing

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 10:07 PM

flyfishmich is a jewel in the roughflyfishmich is a jewel in the roughflyfishmich is a jewel in the roughflyfishmich is a jewel in the rough
Default Just Got My NuCanoe Frontier

Cant wait to get it into the water. Still a little chili here in northern MI.

Slowly outfitting and getting it ready-3 months in advance.
mcnerney, innes, dragon11 and 3 others like this.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:56 PM

ken l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just Got My NuCanoe Frontier

Had mine for 3 years now. Good luck with it
flyfishmich likes this.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:03 PM

dakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to all

A new kayak is a fun purchase and I use mine often. Have a different brand, but remember how excited I was to bring it home. It would kill me to have to wait for three months for the first ride. Guess you'll have to sit in it in the garage and pretend for a while. Hope you have a short winter.
flyfishmich likes this.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:38 PM

al_a is a jewel in the roughal_a is a jewel in the roughal_a is a jewel in the rough

Actually, you can work out a lot of important stuff by sitting in it in the garage. Gather up all the rods, tackle, and gear you think you'll be taking when fishing with it, and start figuring out exactly where everything will be stowed, how you can have all your tackle within easy reach while sitting in fishing position, what kind of rod holders you might use, and if you plan on ever going on an overnight trip with camping gear, figure out how to stow it. Even down to such stuff as where to put the paddle down temporarily as you're fishing.

I'm a solo canoe guy, not a kayak guy--for my rivers and my way of fishing, the canoe is far superior. Others' mileage may vary. But I've spent a lot of time over the years sitting in my canoes in the garage, designing a better seat, a better tackle storage system, figuring out the perfect load balance on overnighters, deciding which type of cooler works the best in the allotted space, figuring out exactly how to stow extra rods so that they are safe and within reach.

Do all that, and by the time you get on the water, you'll have everything set the way you want it.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:43 AM

wee hooker is just really nicewee hooker is just really nicewee hooker is just really nicewee hooker is just really nice

No pictures?? We need pictures!

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_a View Post
Actually, you can work out a lot of important stuff by sitting in it in the garage. Gather up all the rods, tackle, and gear you think you'll be taking when fishing with it, and start figuring out exactly where everything will be stowed, how you can have all your tackle within easy reach while sitting in fishing position, what kind of rod holders you might use, and if you plan on ever going on an overnight trip with camping gear, figure out how to stow it. Even down to such stuff as where to put the paddle down temporarily as you're fishing.

I'm a solo canoe guy, not a kayak guy--for my rivers and my way of fishing, the canoe is far superior. Others' mileage may vary. But I've spent a lot of time over the years sitting in my canoes in the garage, designing a better seat, a better tackle storage system, figuring out the perfect load balance on overnighters, deciding which type of cooler works the best in the allotted space, figuring out exactly how to stow extra rods so that they are safe and within reach.

Do all that, and by the time you get on the water, you'll have everything set the way you want it.

Very sound advice! How a small boat (of any kind) is rigged and trimmed, makes a huge difference in satisfaction /quality of the experience.
Ard Stetts and flyfishmich like this.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:05 AM

flyfishmich is a jewel in the roughflyfishmich is a jewel in the roughflyfishmich is a jewel in the roughflyfishmich is a jewel in the rough

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet ride! Thanks for sharing the photo.
flyfishmich likes this.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 AM

Sorry it has been a while since I have logged on. I finally got the canoe in the water after a nice warm up a few weeks back. I didn't fish much as I just wanted to see how we got along. Padded up stream for 45 minutes then drifted back down. It is not a great paddling boat. Upstream anyway. When I turned around it was a different story. It tracked well and I barely had to tap the water with my paddle to steer-it was very mellow flowing down the river.

I used a alb dumbbell as an anchor and that worked well. I bought and installed an Anchor Wizard anchor system and surprisingly that works very well. I did however get a valuable lesson in river fishing physics. When using the anchor trolly to the rear make sure the anchor comes off the center of the transom and not on an angle. Top heavy+undertow+offset anchor=John swimming in 37* water. I was close to my take out so I was able to paddle out and not get too cold. I shed my layers on the water and put my wader jacket on and I was ok.
So next time I will have the anchor point directly off the center transom-hey I didn't know-but I do now.

It wasn't a total yard sale, I floated my coffee mug and my water bottle-rod went into a deep hole but the fly line rested across the 'yak and I was able to retrieve that. Eventually got my coffee mug back because I have a sticker from my work on it and it was returned (longer story than that-but I got it back)

heres some more pics. Flats fishing for smallmouth and carp plus bass and pike on small lakes......THIS SUMMER IS GOING TO BE A BLAST....

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_a View Post

great advice.

I have been all over kayak fishing focus and the NuCanoe forums about rigging. Eventually I moved the yak from my garage to my basement as it was too darn cold in garage and I sat-stood-spun- and practiced casting from seated position and standing position moved mounts and rigging around. It'll be a process to get it how I want. I don't want to be stuck on the water and not like how I like something set up. Easily fixed though

Thanks again

JC
Ard Stetts likes this.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM

mikew1959 is a jewel in the roughmikew1959 is a jewel in the roughmikew1959 is a jewel in the rough

I bought one about four-five months ago...love it!
1 360 swivel chair and one Larry chair and a trolling motor
Yeah it's not a river kayak but I didn't buy it for that. I fish ponds,lakes and swamps . Totally stand up stable I can almost stand on the sidewall and not flip it...bought two fly rod holders for it, just need a anchor system and a depth finder now....got the rear cart wheel for it also but is still heavy with that with anything over 20 to 40 yards. Looking to buy a different cart system for it for long treks to the water.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew1959 View Post
I bought one about four-five months ago...love it!
1 360 swivel chair and one Larry chair and a trolling motor
Yeah it's not a river kayak but I didn't buy it for that. I fish ponds,lakes and swamps . Totally stand up stable I can almost stand on the sidewall and not flip it...bought two fly rod holders for it, just need a anchor system and a depth finder now....got the rear cart wheel for it also but is still heavy with that with anything over 20 to 40 yards. Looking to buy a different cart system for it for long treks to the water.
this is the anchor system that I bought. It works well. Kayak Anchoring System from Anchor Wizard
teardrop likes this.