The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Kayak/SUP Discussion

Kayak/SUP Discussion Discuss the use of kayaks and SUP's for fly fishing

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 07:28 AM

gpwhitejr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod length

Thanks for the advice. I will look at those. I have no trouble casting my 6' 10" 4-weight from the kayak, it just isn't ideal for big poppers and frogs and the like.
karstopo likes this.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Sage is following the 8 ft restriction of the mother of all bass tournament leagues, the Bassmaster. Bassmaster has 7 divisions from Junior High to the Pros.
https://www.bassmaster.com/tournaments

The B.A.S.S. "BASSMASTER" Tournament Rules specifically state that the maximum length of a rod is 8 feet. See under second paragraph, Rule 8:Tackle and Equipment:
"Only ONE casting, spin casting or spinning rod (8-foot maximum length from butt of handle to rod tip) and reel may be used at any one time."
https://www.bassmaster.com/sites/def...s_pro_am_1.pdf

Lesser bass tournaments do not have length restriction have a 9 ft limit as in the American Bass Tournaments.
As I said.
With any bass tournament that allows fly rods there is no length restriction.

The B.A.S.S. BassMasters do not allow fly rods !

So in no way is Sage following any tournament requirements with their 7' 11" rods
It was just a marketing ploy but people took it as fact.
And ever since it's become "common knowledge" but it's actually just B.S.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:50 PM

mjkirshner has a spectacular aura aboutmjkirshner has a spectacular aura about

I'd recommend the Loomis Shortstix. I have the 8/9, which I specifically bought for fishing from the kayak. I have used both standard 9' rods and the 7'-6" Shortstix from the kayak, and the shorter rod is definitely easier to deal with from there. Trying to line up a 9' rod while seated in a kayak can be a major PITA, as you have to basically dunk the reel into the water in order to reach the tip. With the 7'-6" rod, I can set the reel onto the bow of even a short kayak and reach the tip. I realize that you can line up the rod before getting into the kayak, but if you change reels, or even just get the loop/leader caught in the tip top, it can be a real annoyance. I also fish around mangroves much of the time, and have snagged branches with the rod tip, which is less likely with a rod that is a foot and a half shorter. It is also much lighter than a standard 8 or 9, which normally wouldn't matter, but when you are paddling and casting for hours, a little less weight makes it easier on the arms.
Hirdy and karstopo like this.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:30 PM

Hirdy has a spectacular aura aboutHirdy has a spectacular aura about

MJ,

I agree with everything you've said, but here's a tip. If you're having trouble lining up a rod in the yak because the rod is too long, break it into sections, thread it up and then put it all back together. Normally it only needs to come apart at the middle ferrule if it's a 4 piece.

Cheers,
Graeme

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:49 AM

karstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post

OK, I do have an ulterior motive. I have been looking at these supposed bass-specific rods from various companies; 6 to 10 weight, 7'11" (so they can be legal for bass tournaments), but I need a good excuse to buy more stuff. And I wonder if a foot is going to make a useful difference. I think a 7 foot 7 weight is really what I want; does it exist?
It's too bad that there aren't more rods from more rod manufacturers in the 6-10 weight class that are under 8 feet. My next rod might be the 7/8 weight G. Loomis Short Stix to compliment my highly loved 8/9 weight Short Stix.

In many, many outings out on the bay, marsh, river and lake in kayaks and boats, I've never once wanted or wished I had a 9' or longer rod along. Not that the fly fishing industry is all that interested in seducing the gigantic pool of bait-casting and spinning tackle users to converting to fly gear, but if they were interested they could go a long way to bridging the gap by marketing a line up of rods under 8 feet and especially 7-7.5 feet.

But that's just one man's take. As they say, your mileage might vary.
Rip Tide and Hirdy like this.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:43 PM

pnc is a jewel in the roughpnc is a jewel in the roughpnc is a jewel in the rough

Many in the SFF club that use kayaks at club events. Use a shorter rod when fishing from kayak in freshwater. Rods from 6'6" to 8'. Streams, rivers, with overhanging limbs. Six footer preferred. Most switch to from 8'. Glass also much of running water is through woods.
Salt is another story. A few use 8' rods. These few fish from kayak. Most however use 9' rods. Stakeout & wade. Kayak is mode of transport only. Interesting is who does which. Older guys get out & wade. Less noise better site fishing.
Should say that the wading from kayaks is when possible. When bottom is soft or water deeper. Not leaving boat possible. 8' rods get yhe nod.

.......... pc

As pointed out by, Karstopo. 7'ers would be nice. I don't know about the meat fishermen. But a selection of shorter rods would be nice. Probably overdue.
karstopo likes this.

Last edited by pnc; 07-12-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:13 PM

mjkirshner has a spectacular aura aboutmjkirshner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirdy View Post
MJ,

I agree with everything you've said, but here's a tip. If you're having trouble lining up a rod in the yak because the rod is too long, break it into sections, thread it up and then put it all back together. Normally it only needs to come apart at the middle ferrule if it's a 4 piece.

Cheers,
Graeme
That is an excellent idea... and I do that. But lining the rod is not the biggest problem, just one small inconvenience. In fact, I can line the rod (and often do) before I even get in the boat. The greater problem is managing the longer rod around obstacles. To illustrate: In one of my first saltwater kayak fishing endeavors, I was in a narrow mangrove-lined waterway near the Stuart Inlet. I was well clear of the trees on either side, with my fly rod in a holder behind my seat. The tide was coming in and the current was relatively fast, and I was moving with it. (It was very nice.) A power boat passed me, going not as slowly as he should, and the wake pushed my kayak toward the mangroves on one side. A branch caught the line at the tip of my rod and pulled the rod from the holder. I stopped paddling, but the current was pulling me past the branch, and I had just enough time to grab the rod handle before it was out of reach. That left me hanging on to the rod with one hand, attached to branch by the line, while trying to stow my paddle with the other hand, all with the current pulling me away from the branch and the line stripping off the reel. Once the paddle was safe, I grabbed the line to stop it from stripping and hoped it wouldn't break. Then, by "walking" hand over hand up the rod and then the line, I eventually hauled the kayak back to where the line was snagged. In retrospect, I should have let the rod go and just paddled back to retrieve it from the branch... but that is NOT what your brain says to do when $500 or $600 worth of gear is rapidly leaving your boat. "GRAB IT" is all you think at that moment. Fortunately, the 9-wt line was strong enough to hold against the current, and I didn't break my $90 bonefish line.

Other times, if I kayak under a bridge at low tide, and the rod in a holder has plenty of clearance, I have to remember that coming back, the tide may be higher and if I don't check, the rod tip ends up scraping the underside of the bridge. A shorter rod won't guarantee that things like that never happen, but a shorter rod is easier to keep clear of branches, bridges, etc. It's also easier to cast when there is wind, as is often the case here in Florida, and you are casting side-arm near trees.

These are not really issues when fishing from a kayak in a lake or away from trees or bridges, but for me, a shorter rod works well in the kayak.
karstopo likes this.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:35 PM

Hirdy has a spectacular aura aboutHirdy has a spectacular aura about

That was a close call, for sure.

I never use a 9' rod in the kayak any more. Just too clumsy for no tangible benefit. As you say, they are more likely to get tangled in obstructions and are harder to stow safely. They a more prone to high-sticking when landing a fish, and besides all that, the longer lever is more difficult to fight a fish with.

I'm like you too: my rods are all lined and ready to fish before I even leave home. I often carry 5 rods on the Pro Angler 14, three 10wts with floating, intermediate and sinking lines, plus a pair of light weight rods for the little fish (different species).

I now use 8' rods in nearly all boating situations (yak or powerboat), only fishing 9' rods when wading and blind casting the flats and drop-offs. (If I'm sight fishing those flats, I go back to 8' again ... )

Staking out and wading is not really kayak fishing in the same way that driving to a river and wading is not car fishing

Cheers,
Graeme
karstopo likes this.

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)