The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Kayak/SUP Discussion

Kayak/SUP Discussion Discuss the use of kayaks and SUP's for fly fishing

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 07:28 AM

gpwhitejr is on a distinguished road
Default Rod length

I have been fishing from a kayak for several years, and have been interested in the ongoing discussion (on various forums) about rod length. It seems there are two schools of thought - a long rod for better casting (and getting the line around the front and back of the boat if necessary), vs a short rod for ease of landing fish (and changing spools, etc.). I use several nine foot rods, but I have to admit I find it easier to deal with my little 6'10" 4-weight in the kayak. The downside though is that I usually fish in a pond that has some fairly large bass, maybe up to 5 pounds or so (if you live in Florida, stop snickering; that is a big fish around here) and I don't think that rod is the best tool for the job. Any thoughts?

OK, I do have an ulterior motive. I have been looking at these supposed bass-specific rods from various companies; 6 to 10 weight, 7'11" (so they can be legal for bass tournaments), but I need a good excuse to buy more stuff. And I wonder if a foot is going to make a useful difference. I think a 7 foot 7 weight is really what I want; does it exist?
karstopo likes this.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 AM

karstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rod length

I'm in the lover of the shorter rod in a kayak. Yesterday, I went out in my WS Commander 140 loaded with three rods. Two Cabelas CGRs, the 5/6 and the 7/8 and a G. Loomis short Stix 8/9 Wgt. All rods come in at 7'6".

As far as reaching around the bow fighting a fish, a 7'6" rod is plenty long enough to accomplish that. Heck, I used to do it with baitcasting rods a foot shorter.

G. Loomis now has a 7/8 Wgt. Short Stix. 7'6". It might be perfect for what you are looking for. I love my 8/9 for delivering line out in a hurry and fighting the wind. At $400, it comes in a little under the 7' 11" Sage Bass series.

Short rods are just easier to control the cast for accuracy than long rods all other things being equal. Easier to land fish. Better in tight spaces. Less fatiguing than swinging a long rod. I'm not against long rods. I used to carry 9' rods in my kayak. I just found I liked shorter rods better and have stuck with those out on the bay, marsh, rivers, and lakes around Southeast Texas. But every fishery is different. That's why they make different lengths. All I have to share is my experience.
bloomagoo and eastfly66 like this.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
OK, I do have an ulterior motive. I have been looking at these supposed bass-specific rods from various companies; 6 to 10 weight, 7'11" (so they can be legal for bass tournaments), but I need a good excuse to buy more stuff.
A few years ago, I researched this as well as I could and what I found was that with any and all bass tournaments that allow fly rods, there was no length restriction.
That whole 8' rod wives tale was dreamed up by Sage as a marketing ploy

But I'm in the short rod camp as well.
I've had the experience of having large fish "camp out" right below my kayak, resting, and I could not budge them with a 9' rod.
So I built myself a 6'9" 9wt for salt water which was plenty long to reach around my bow .... but I broke it
I now use a fiberglass 8', 9wt which can get a little heavy and is not a distance rod at all but it's beast and has the backbone to "put the wood to 'em"
mcnerney and bloomagoo like this.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:34 AM

gpwhitejr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post

G. Loomis now has a 7/8 Wgt. Short Stix. 7'6". It might be perfect for what you are looking for.
It probably is, except for the price. I was looking at the St. Croix Mojo Bass at $150. I just don't know if a foot and and an inch shorter (than the typical 9 foot) is going to make that big a difference.
rangerrich99 and karstopo like this.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 PM

keithsz is on a distinguished road

I'm using a 7' rod and have had NO problems.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:40 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
A few years ago, [b]I researched this as well as I could and what I found was that with any and all bass tournaments that allow fly rods, there was no length restriction.[b]
That whole 8' rod wives tale was dreamed up by Sage as a marketing ploy
Sage is following the 8 ft restriction of the mother of all bass tournament leagues, the Bassmaster. Bassmaster has 7 divisions from Junior High to the Pros.
https://www.bassmaster.com/tournaments

The B.A.S.S. "BASSMASTER" Tournament Rules specifically state that the maximum length of a rod is 8 feet. See under second paragraph, Rule 8:Tackle and Equipment:
"Only ONE casting, spin casting or spinning rod (8-foot maximum length from butt of handle to rod tip) and reel may be used at any one time."
https://www.bassmaster.com/sites/def...s_pro_am_1.pdf

Lesser bass tournaments do not have length restriction have a 9 ft limit as in the American Bass Tournaments.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-07-2017, 05:47 PM

karstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to behold

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/bass...foot-rods-2017

Looks like longer rods are in. It doesn't appear it was ever about fly rods.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Rod length

Humm ... 'Rod lenghth.'

Quite dinner, nice bottle of wine ... she ...look aside ..

Lady in her late 50's asked me a similar question....

'Its not the length, its what you do with it' was my answer.

Next morning ....

There's more to that 'x rated' but I'll let your mind run ..

fae
karstopo likes this.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:44 AM

Hirdy has a spectacular aura aboutHirdy has a spectacular aura about

I am also in the "short rod" school for kayak fishing. If you're having trouble keeping the fly off the water whilst casting, it's a casting error, not a tackle error. Aim a foot higher ...

Shorter rods are easier for fish handling.

Of the cheaper rods, the TFO MiniMag rods are great! They've been my yardstick against which all other rods of comparable line weight have been measured for many years. (Beware though, the 6-8 is an 8wt rod and the 8-10 is a 10wt rod. Ignore the lower numbers.)

If you're going up in price points, I do like the Epic Bandit as a lovely kayak rod.

Cheers,
Graeme
karstopo likes this.

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)
Old 07-08-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
It probably is, except for the price. I was looking at the St. Croix Mojo Bass at $150. I just don't know if a foot and and an inch shorter (than the typical 9 foot) is going to make that big a difference.
I fished the TFO Minimag 6-8wgt for a long time. It comes in at 8 feet. I think the foot missing makes a big difference from a 9' rod. And yes, it's an 8wt. I never liked using 6 or 7 weight line on it.

You might take a look at the Cabelas CGR lineup. The 5/6 Wgt and 7/8 Wgt come in at 7'6". The 5/6 is my go to bass rod. It's plenty of rod for a 5 pound LMB. However, it may not be enough rod for bigger, Bulky bass flies. I tend to like smaller flies for bass on my lake so the 5/6 is good for that.

The CGR 7/8 is a workhorse on my kayak out on the bay and in the marsh. It does have enough punch to handle bigger, bulkier flies and enough power in the butt to turn some pretty stout redfish. I would think it would be enough rod to help steer any LMB in your area away from snags.

The downside, as some would say, is that it is a pretty slow action rod. So you may not like the deep flexing. I carry on my kayak a very fast G.Loomis Short Stix and the Much slower CGR. I can't really shoot line with the CGR like I can with the G.Loomis, but sometimes I don't really need to shoot line and I enjoy the feel and bend of glass casting and fighting fish.

Many times, the CGRs go on sale for around $60. Just want you to be aware of them in case fiberglass has every aroused any interest.
eastfly66 likes this.