The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:46 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Post Re: Were are all the Ladies?!

I thought I would drop in and say hi to all the lady anglers in here. I am from the Tyler-Longview, Tx area. I tried fly fishing a few years ago, and gave it up. I did not have a computer to help me figure fly fishing out, or forums. I did not do well casting, and gave up. Well over this past winter I tried fishing for stocked trout. I enjoyed it so much that I decided I wanted to try some flies on a bubble and fly. I even started tying flies in mid Jan or so. Well then I had to pull out that old fly rod stuck in the garage, and dusted it off. It was a five wt BPS beginner combo. I decided to go and get a lesson this time to start things off right, which was a good idea. So then I went for another beginner lesson at a free clinic for fly fishing. Later a man offered to give me a lesson off of another fishing forum. With that behind me now I can do a bit of fly fishing on my own. I have caught several fish with the fly rod. Recently I broke my reel. So I decided to get an 8wt combo so I could bass fish. The older rod is a five wt. So this fall I will have to get another reel for my rod so I can trout fish this fall, hopefully. I do not live in trout country, but sure love to catch them! I can always drive to Arkansas, or Oklahoma to fly fish in the future. I wish trout could make it through the summer here, but it is way too hot for trout. The stocked trout probably will be on their last leg in this heat today...it is close to 90 deg. Still I like to fish for bass, crappie, sunfish. I fish mostly all year except when it gets hot in the summer. I usually only fish then in the night. I can fish when it is really cold, but prefer 50-80 deg. I also do conventional fishing...have not stopped it. But there is something very special about fly fishing that conventional fishing cannot touch. Catching a fish on a fly you made yourself is so fun. Anyway just thought I'd stop by and say hello. I just joined this forum a couple of days ago. I do not know what rep points are. So if you know, please fill me in. Talk to you all later.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Were are all the Ladies?!

Welcome Kel....it is very nice having more women to talk to. Love some pictures and updates on gear and fishin trips.
Not sure on the rep points.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have a Bass Pro Shop Dogwood Canyon 5wt. The reel just broke when I dropped it I guess it cracked. I was gonna use it the other day, pulled it out, and the reel seat was broken off. I went to Cabelas in Ft. Worth *)never again though because the traffic was horrible) I bought a Redington Crosswater 8wt rod, with a Ross Flystart reel. So far I like the reel a lot. The rod is good I think, but much heavier than my five wt. So I cannot cast too long with it without getting a back ache. I heard an 8wt was the best for largemouth bass, which I was targeting. I think maybe a 7wt would of been a better choice, but don't want my rod to break with a big largemouth. As far as other gear, it is not expensive stuff, but gets the job done. I use a BPS vise that came in a Bass starter kit for fly tying. It gets the job done, and tells you if you are gonna like fly tying, but I will have to invest in a better vise one day when I can afford it. I have not made any cool fishing trips to speak of. I just got back from camping and fishing at Johnson Creek at Lake O' The Pines in Texas. The fishing was extremely slow. The kids had a good time tubing though. (they also got a nice sunburn for the effort despite using tons of sunscreen) I usually go to Lake O' The Pines, or Tyler State Park. Lake O' The Pines is a decent lake, with stained water though. I usually do not fly fish there because I go to the spillway/dam area there. Sometimes the fishing is good, sometimes it stinks! This year the fishing has not been too good. A couple of weeks ago though I went and caught the most fish ever.....17....but the size of most fish were small, and not keepers. I usually keep some, and let others go. I eat many of the fish I catch, but it depends on the size too. I will usually let a fish go if it is my only keeper. I hate to clean just one fish. So if I have two keeper sized fish I will usually keep them. I wish there was a stream to fish in close by, but there is not. It is usually lake fishing for me. If I had a boat I could go to a couple of rivers nearby...but there is not bank access for people who don't own adjacent land. Sometimes, usually in the winter I go to Hawkins Lake. I caught some decent sized chain pickerel there with my son. They put up quite a fight. I have been to Caddo Lake at the state park pier, but usually don't do well there. I also have gone to a couple of community lakes nearby...and they are okay now and then to go to. I wish I knew some people who owned land and had ponds on there that had some fish. One friend of mine has a small pond, with mostly sunfish. I fished there a while back, and it was fun. I don't think her fish had ever seen a fly, so they were easy pickings! I released all of them back though.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:03 PM

flygrlz is on a distinguished road

I'm here.

I live in Las Vegas at the moment, but will be moving to Durango CO in a few months.

Hi everyone!

flygrlz
Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM

trickpony is on a distinguished road

I'm a fly fishing lady.
Been lucky enough to live around some pretty quality water - originally from Eastern Colorado - moved to Bozeman, MT for school, guided boats up there on the Yellowstone and Gallatin Rivs... now back in Durango, CO for a little while.

Flyfishing women ROCK.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

WELCOME Trickpony. I want to hear some of your Yellowstone storied please.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM

kim ciara is on a distinguished road

Hi. Kim, here.

I'm from Cascade, Colorado, an avid/experienced fly fisher.

Love camping, 'cause camping means 'fishing' for me. Will be going to NW Colorado to the Flattops on July 22nd to spend a week fishing Trapper's Lake, the White River, and other nice streams/beaver ponds, and such. There's nothing I'd rather be doing than camping and fly fishing.

Anyway, just joined the forum today, and looking forward to making some new friends here.

See ya's
Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Hi Kim!!!! So, glad you found your way "home" LOL Great bunch here.