The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Ladies Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/ladies-fly-fishing-forum/)
-   -   Loading a canoe.............. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/ladies-fly-fishing-forum/1105-loading-canoe.html)

Troutlassie124 05-04-2006 12:04 PM

Loading a canoe..............

Any ladies out there that have experience in loading a canoe onto a car top?I just got out my old Yakima roof rack, and purchased a boat loader, which is a bar that slides out of the cross bar, so that it is possible to get the nose of the boat up and parallel to the side of the auto, but I would like to know if anyone, even guys, have advice on one person loading.I am a woman, and don't have a great deal of upper body strength,which is why I asked in the ladies forum. My car is is pretty low, an old Volvo 740 wagon. I haven't tried it yet, so I thought I would check to see if someone else has done this.Thank you for your comments in advance.:fishing:

Troutlassie124 05-06-2006 09:32 AM

Re: Loading a canoe..............

Problem solved, the extension, works very well.

Joni 05-09-2006 10:40 PM

Troutlassie124, How is that canoe set-up working? Have you got out and done any fishing?:cool:

Troutlassie124 05-10-2006 12:36 PM

I was out on the Concord River and explored some of the Sudbury River with'flyfishinginnewengland' on monday afternoon. It worked really well. Didn't catch anything, was a bit windy and chilly, but great to be out on the water.Also great, no bugs. Must have been too cold.

Joni 05-10-2006 08:56 PM

Keep the reports comin'. Wanna hear how things warm up, and when it does WAHOO!
Tight Lines to you!
Joni

BigCliff 05-11-2006 08:44 AM

Glad to hear that the extension worked well for you. I'm not sure if it could help, but using some of the lightweight folding plastic sawhorses to set the canoe on next to the car before you lift it up might help. Since you've got a wagon, you could probably even just store them in the back of the car so that they're always handy when you need them. Also, you've probably already realized this, but be careful about loading it when the wind is blowing. Even the biggest of men could be blown over if a gust catches the inside of a canoe held overhead.

I noticed your comment about the bugs not being out yet, which I'm sure is a temporary situation. I discovered and used a product that covers that problem as well as another. The product is called Smartshield and its a combination of sunblock and an all natural insect repellent. http://www.smartshield.com/detail.aspx?ID=26 I honestly kind of wished it didn't work so well because I think $9 is pretty expensive, but I have been proven wrong. It performs both functions quite well and also will not damage flylines. (I have no vested interest in the product, just like telling folks about DEET alternatives.)

Troutlassie124 05-12-2006 12:34 PM

Tou would think the saw horses would work, but they are too flimsy and would just get in the way. They don't even work well for canoe storage. The blackflies are out in force, here in MA, but the cool weather has sent them for cover. The rain we are now having, and the warmth that is sure to come in the next few weeks will bring them back to make us all miserable. A headnet is indespensible, along with Deep Woods Off. Usually they hang around of a few weeks and then they are gone to be replaced by the dreaded deerfly. Amazing how annoying they are! How are the bugs out your way?:eek:

BigCliff 05-12-2006 01:41 PM

Sounds like the bugs are worse up your way than they are down here. I may be singing a different tune soon, as I'm in the process of moving into a house that has a pond 50 yards away. But overall, we have had a very windy spring, and that has probably helped the bug issue.

Bugs don't normally bother me that much, although I can think of one exception. I have a buddy who's dad farms some land adjacent to a salt marsh near Corpus Christi, TX. The marsh has some tidal lakes that fill up with bait and gamefish when the tide is right, but the mosquitos are super thick if its calm enough to cast a fly rod. If its too windy for that, they're still thick. Its nasty muddy wading, and there's lots of mosquitos involved, but when you drive up to those lakes and see 12 spotted tails out there in 9" of water, it'll take more than mud and bugs to keep me away.

Troutlassie124 05-12-2006 02:43 PM

I lived on the Gulf Coast, and once duck hunting in South LA, my dad and I were out in a duck blind before dawn. I couldn't imagine why my eyes were burning, until I lit a flashlight and realized we were in a swarm of thousands of mosquitos. They didn't seem to be actually biting, just suffocating us. I guess the salt water variety aren't as voracious as the inland type.
By the way, blackflies are a New England phenomenon. And I guess there may be a few up in Canada, too.