The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM

mahoney is on a distinguished road
Default Women's Fly Fishing Gear

I was curious how satisfied other women are with their fly fishing gear (waders, boots and apparel). Design, fit and functionality included. It used to be "shrink it and pink it" for women, do you think that still applies? Is there room for improvement for women's fly fishing gear?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 AM

cathyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Women's Fly Fishing Gear

I rarely look at women's gear when I'm in the market for something. I'm a "plus" size woman so men's gear fits better anyway. Also sometimes women specific gear seems overpriced to me.

A problem I have though is that the feet of men's waders are too big which necessitates buying wading boots too big. Simms has women's waders that solve this problem and Orvis has men's waders available in enough size configurations to work for me but both are out of my price range.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent timing on this post. I'm currently shopping waders for my girlfriend and have a rough time of it. At 5'0" and 106lbs nothing seems to come close. So for it looks like my best bet will be a youth size for the boot foot. Not sure what I'm going to do for the stocking foot...
Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

swirl check these, size small-
Caddis Deluxe Breathable Waders for Ladies - Teal | Bass Pro Shops

good luck

casey

ARFE
Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
swirl check these, size small-
Caddis Deluxe Breathable Waders for Ladies - Teal | Bass Pro Shops

good luck

casey
I tried. She doesn't want "girl" colors. She said she wants to look like a fisherman.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

5' is pretty short, I am thinking childrens also.
We all have problems I think. I am 5'8" with a 36" inseam...normal foot size for my hight in an 8 to 8 and a half.

I too bought mens because they offer the TALL feature, plus lets face it, mens seem to be tougher and more features like hand warmers.

I bought Pro Guides Med Long. Waders fit fair, but as mentioned, the feet are big. I have to pull the heel portion way up te back and bought one size bigger boot, Down side is, I had to get a second pair of boots to wet wade.

At the lodge I got to try some Simms lights for woman. I like the thinner cut and they fit great. I can live without the idea of outside pocket and hand warmers I guess, but my question is why? Why not give the women same features.

I also bought a pair of Men's Rivendell waist highs. They have the thinner neoprene bootie and my boot fit great with them.

2012, I might go searching for the new waders. Just hard casue no leaks yet in the old ones.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:28 PM

I haven't even gotten to the stocking foot shopping yet! I'm still stuck on the boot foot! Out here we need both. Wading boots in the surf fill up with sand, even with gravel guards.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:54 PM

kim ciara is on a distinguished road

The manufacturers of most women's waders think a woman 5' 7" should have a shoe size of 5 or something. hahah Try fitting into a pair of Simm's women's waders if you're tall like me and don't wear a size 5 shoe!

The waders I bought about four years ago are from Orvis. They get a LOT of use (probably go 100+ times a year or more), and are still in great shape! They fit great, the stocking-foot part fits well, and they're well made. I do expect to get another couple of year's use out of them. And trust me, I'm WAY hard on waders!

In the summer and fall, I generally wet-wade, just with some neoprene socks and my wading boots. Even in the higher elevations the water isn't too cold to be uncomfortable, except maybe in the early mornings. Maybe this is one reason the waders have held up so well.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 2001, I bought my first pair of Orvis waders. I went with men's because back then, the mens had all the great features and the women's had non. I bought the Pro Guides. After two years of heavy use, and becauseI worked for the company, I upgraded to the newer model with the hand warmer. Problem I had was I have a 36" inseam, with a woman's 9 wading boot. So, while small men's fit me well, they were not long enough. I bought medium. They fit on the loose side but the neoprene foot is way big. I have to pull the foot area to where the heel is on the back of my ankle. Pain, but has been the routine for the past 9 years. I have had to patch inseams over this time, but can honestly say, they still keep you dry.
BUT, I will add, I also have waist high Rivendell and hippers I wear during the summer, so my Pro's do not get used much. Just fall and winters.
Now, my boot foot breathable hippers, I bought back in 2004 and just replaced them this week as they started leaking on the seams. Not complaining at all as I am getting well over 5 years on Orvis gear.

Got new Dan Bailey hippers for women coming. Have to wait to see them but their size chart on line looks perfect to me.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 AM

bayou_boy is on a distinguished road

My wife uses a set of waders from LL Bean. To tell you the truth they are every bit as nice as a set of mid range Orvis or Simm's waders and are $200 regular price. They make a couple of their waders in women's sizes.