The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: this is cool!

Thanks for the welcome, Joni. Haven't wet a line since before the holidays, so I'm excited to get out soon. As far as fishing in Colorado, I think the Gunnison is supposed to be some good fly water.

I'm running the Colorado through the Grand Canyon in early April, but I'm meeting folks at the 87.5-mile mark, supposedly past all the good water Might just leave the fly rod behind.[/
Hi nancykim,

If you are going to float the Canyon you will put in at Lee's Ferry. There is some trout fishing right near the landing and down stream. If by chance you are putting in at the Dam you will be right in the good fishing but the raft is not going to stop for you to fish. There is a camp ground between the Dam and Lee's Ferry but I don't think they with stay there the first night. If they do stop you will be in some very good trout water. I have taken a 25" Rainbow right close to the camp.

As you go down the Canyon they will camp at one site that has a feeder stream entering the Colorado right by camp. Rainbow hang out right at the confluence of the stream and river. If the river is discolored the fish will hang in the colored water right at the edge of the clear water. The past few years the F&G stopped regulating Rainbows in the river below Lee's Ferry. They want to eliminate them and have no limit regulations on these fish. I don't know if that is still the case. You are in for a great trip.

Frank
Old 01-13-2008, 02:02 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Hey Tgoodwater,

Where in Colorado are you going to go to? There is a lot of superb fishing throughout the state depending if you go north, central or south.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykim View Post
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Thanks for the welcome, Joni. Haven't wet a line since before the holidays, so I'm excited to get out soon. As far as fishing in Colorado, I think the Gunnison is supposed to be some good fly water.

I'm running the Colorado through the Grand Canyon in early April, but I'm meeting folks at the 87.5-mile mark, supposedly past all the good water Might just leave the fly rod behind.
I am going to have to do some research as to where Gunnison is, but thanks for the info. I will look into it.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM

nancykim is on a distinguished road

Frank,
For some reason, that automatically appears in my reply box and I have to delete it.

Thanks for the info on the Grand Canyon. I will not be at the Lee's Ferry put-in as I am joining the float at 87.5 river miles at Phantom Ranch. From what I hear, the water is pretty discolored downstream from this point and not very fishable. At least that's what I heard from a Lee's Ferry guide.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

nancykim,

Too bad you missed the upper water.

If you don't want to quote anything from a post you can go to the last post in the thread and look just under the last post on the left. There is a link that says "Post Reply". You will get a window with out the message. You can also paste from a post if you want to quote something. Or you can just do it like you are and I will see about that message.

Frank
Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 AM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 View Post
Where do you do your guiding at Joni? I was thinking about taking a fishing trip next fall in colorado. Any pointers as to where to go?
I live in Estes Park in the Summers. If you like mountains & hiking and want to get away from the crowds, then head up deep into rocky mountain national park! A trip over into Kremmling is also a nice way to get out of the crowded streams as well.