The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Ladies Fly Fishing Forum

Ladies Fly Fishing Forum For Ladies Only. Chat with other women in fly fishing. Girls just want to have fun too...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel recommendation

I have caught up to 20lb TROUT on a reel that had maybe 50' of backing. I was able to chase the fish.
You have a fish spool you of 200+ feet of backing on a river I would say 9 times out of 10, you are not only going to loose the fish but your line also. The whole drag thing changes cause you have the weight of the water.
I have only seen a need for 100+ feet of backing for Steelhead and Saltwater. Trout, I have had them take me into maybe 25' of backing.
Even when I fish my 2wt, I caught a 17" that played the current. Ihave a LA I with 50' backing and I had to walk the shore to get it out of the current then it was easy.
But I also fish Bamboo and Glass, so I always make sure the path is clear down stream. LOL
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

So what reel did you decide on, and how do you like it?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking to me, there are a couple. Orvis LA, Vosseler LA, Tibor Spring Creek, CFO, Orvis Mid. My favorite right now I guess is the Vosseler, but funny thing, there is no drag on them. They are Rim Drag.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

You mean you cannot adjust drag? I do not know what rim drag is.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Actually I was talking to the original poster in the thread. But I always like to hear what someone considers a good reel, at a reasonable price. I will be needing to get a new reel before too long for my five wt...this fall at the latest.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
You mean you cannot adjust drag? I do not know what rim drag is.

There is no drag to adjust. It comes with one little plug in the reel and two more with a three hole limit. I have put all three plugs in for back lash and it is a perfect constant drag. No knob sticking out. The rim of the reel is exposed, you cup the reel with your hand and that is your drag.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM

I guess I would have to see a pic of it, I have never seen anything like that. I have the el cheapo reels.....lol.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Here is the inside of the reel:

Click the image to open in full size.

And here is the outside:

Click the image to open in full size.

Of course I had to special order Green to go with the GREEN, but they come standard in Titanium and Black.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM

That is a very nice looking reel you have there. I imagine it is awesome!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM

I am really interested in the Lamson Konic. A fair price for a name brand reel not to mention killer drag, good looking and LAMSON.